Mom is combative

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello 

Im 25 and my mom in her 60s has stage 4 cancer  in her cervix and had spread almost to her lungs since September and has had all the treatments she can get. They told us a few days ago that though the cancer is dormant it’s still but that her body is slowly shutting down and that they give her a few months maybe but gave us some home remedies to try out along with her meds.

She just came from the hospital and physical therapy care yesterday and over the phone when we would talk to her she seemed a little better and was more coherent and had better conversation and was doing pretty well to work with the therapists/nurses and walk. Now we’ve been home and since then she has not wanted to move a muscle or for any of us (me my sister and my dad) to touch her or help her do anything. When she stands up she about falls back into us whenever she does let us help move her 
she pushes us away. Barely opens her eyes or talks and is a little confused here and there  (which has been normal the last week or so)

Why is this happening? Why did she seem better when she was at the hospital? 
a nurse came out and recommended hospice care and they will do an assessment  tomorrow. The nurse did say that hospice care doesn’t always mean that she couldn’t get back off if she gets better. But we’re just really struggling with what to do to help her and also how to even talk to her. I do play some soothing musics for her at night while she’s sleeping 

this is so exhausting and I feel helpless and very frustrated and angry that this is even happening and that she’s having to go through this 

• Maybe your Mum is just struggling to process her diagnosis and thinks by pushing those that love her away may make it easier, of course it doesn’t, the devastating effect this is having on all of you & your mental well-being is very difficult to deal with maybe she needs help with this. This is the Matriarch of a family having to had over reins as it were, try & talk to her. I am so sorry that this is happening to you all, take care x

• Hi JipJip404.  I think Murph may have a point, in that mum may be struggling with the diagnosis.  For my husband this has certainly been the case, and for the past 2 years there have been very dark periods where he has taken to his bed for 1-2 weeks at a time, with deep depression that neither counselling nor medication has been able to help.  The only thing that raises his spirits is medical intervention in the shape of hospital stays and, as now, hospice care.  It's as though being looked after by qualified medical professionals validates his thinking that the problem is strictly medical rather than a mental health issue.  Unfortunately, he is now terminal, so has spent the past 2 years mostly pushing us away but certainly having little quality of life, even when he was fit enough to enjoy it.

We now have to accept that this will not change as he is going downhill physically too, and it is difficult to remember the husband/father as he was before his cancer as its been going on for so long.  The hospice care recommended by your nurse sounds like a positive move, since mum may pick up once she is in the care of medical professionals, as my husband does.  If so, hopefully this will give you and your family some time with her when she is in a more positive frame of mind.  On my first visit to the hospice to see my husband, he spoke more to me in the first 10 minutes of the visit than he had said to me in the previous 2 months!

Just remember that you will all experience a whole range of emotions, from helplessness, frustration, anger, resentment etc and even grieve for the person you have lost even though that person is still alive. But please be kind to yourself. These feelings are all normal.  They hurt, and they are confusing, but they are all normal.  Your mum is not doing any of these things deliberately, but she will be frightened and scared and may feel safer in a hospital setting.

I wish you only the best on your journey through this terrible illness.  Keep talking to your family and you may be able to support each other through this time.