Support for carers after bereavement

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I supported a relative through 8 months from first GP appointment through to the night before their death. I was completely unprepared for what this would mean and how effected I would be. I spent most nights researching what I should be doing, questions I needed to ask, symptoms to watch out for etc and never acknowledged my feelings until they died. The death and weeks leading up to it were horrible and I spent a night in A&E and 6 weeks of at home end of life care that really took its toll on me. I often think about what more I should’ve done, how things should’ve been different and how more prepared I should have been.

A couple of months later I realised how much I was struggling. Although I was logging into my computer to work, nothing was getting done and I spent the days thinking about what had happened, crying and wishing that someone would reach out to see how I was. Eventually I gained enough strength to ring my GP who said this was normal but prescribed some medication to take away the physical symptoms I was getting like nausea, palpitations and panic attacks. 

6 months down the line and I don’t feel any different. Nighttime’s are the worst and when I’m trying to get to sleep memories of the last year or so come into my mind, tears roll down my cheeks and I have to do something else to try and take my mind back to wanting sleep. When sleep does come, I often have dreams about my relative which can be distressing.

I’d love some advice from other carers if they have experienced anything like this, and what they did because I really want to feel better and happy again

• Hi

So sorry to read your story, I am sure it would seem trite for me to say you really did everything you could have done. Sometimes we might reflect about what happened to my wife before she went it to intensive care - but she did survive and is really quite good now.

Lack of sleep is a real problem at any time and while tablets can help in the short term that are often not going to be an answer long term. It might help you to  find someone to talk things through with, our common go to for this is Cruse Bereavment care and the loss foundation 

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh how very hard.  It almost sounds like a kind of PTSD that may need both therapy and medication to help you recover.  You have been through a very traumatic experience.  I have a therapist snd it is definitely helping me (even though at the beginning i had no expectation that talking could help at all.). There is also a bereavement group here that may help.  Take care.

• i am so sorry to hear about your loss and how you have been feeling afterwards. Would you consider accessing some counselling to help you process your experience and get support. Medication can help with ‘symptoms’ but i found from my own experience that i didn’t feel any different myself after losing my mum a couple of years ago until i sought counselling. sending love to you x

• Hello... I see this post is from 7 months ago but hope you are in a better place with your grief? 

I find myself in a similar place right now and I'm trying to find resources to arm myself with the tools to help get me through.