Making liquid meals

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi, 

My Mum has just been diagnosed with advanced stomach cancer and is on a liquid diet. I'm looking for advice or ideas on what to make that would be a change from chicken and lentil soup! Need to avoid creamy and oniony recipes, or adapt slightly. Hot liquids better than cold eg looking for soup and blended food ideas not smoothies etc. Ensure is not great for her. We have a blender and food processor but up until now I've never really used them. 

Fiona

• Hi Fiona2022.  You know, you can blend and liquidise just about any kind of food, meat, vegetables, puddings.  My husband has had times when he has had to have a liquid diet, we even blended mashed potato, but it will all depend on what your mum can tolerate.  Have you spoken to a dietician.  If not can you get access to one through your mum's medical team because it is important that she gets the right balance of foods to keep her as strong as she can be.

• Hi Gazcata, I'll speak to the dietician again tomorrow. We've been experimenting and working out what Mum can tolerate. The medical staff have all been great but we're looking at alternatives to Ensure and interested in what's worked for other people.

• We have fresubin (our version of ensure) on top of everything else that he eats.  Sometimes it feels like he is eating all the time but he has put weight on which is good x