Overwhelmed

• 2 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hello

My Mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 Signet Cell Stomach Cancer 7 months ago with no options for treatment other than pallative chemo.

Her one and only round of chemo put her in intensive care back in Sept, she gradually got better before being back in intensive care in Oct with Sepsis.

She has gradually got worse since recovering from Sepis, however the morphine she was on was slowly making her body toxic.

After 6 weeks of persuasion Mum agreed to be fitted with a syringe driver on Monday this week, which has had to be increased daily, as well as regular pain relief injections.

Today she was fitted with a catheter as it seems her bladder is no longer sending signals to her brain that she needs a wee and is causing a huge amount of pain. 

My Mum is staying with me for as long as she can rather than go into the hospice, she's a very strong independent lady and this has shocked us all.

I'm finding the rollercoaster of emotions so overwhelming, today for example I thought that was it.

She had slept almost all day and was very drowsy, her breathing had slowed right down and things just didnt seem right.

The district nurses came out to administer more pain relief and she perked up for half an hour or so but has gone downhill again.

How are other people coping with these situations?

My husband is a huge support, my Mum is only 65 and I'm an only child and it's so hard. It feels like I'm walking around like a zombie most days.

I hate seeing my Mum in pain and upset, she's trying so hard to be brave but we can see that things are quickly progressing.

It's so cruel.

X

• Hi

So sorry to hear about your mum. I well remember the delights of visiting in intensive care but for us that was some years ago - sepsis can be really very nasty.

How does anyone cope in these situations - almost certainly exactly like you. If might help to look at If the person you care for is dying as it does contain some tips and it is good to post on here too and still feel a little connected with others.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Anna.  You are amazing, it is so hard looking after someone you love when they seem to be fading away in front of your eyes.  Maybe you could reconsider the hospice option.  This  would let you spend lots of time with your mum, but not have to worry about the caring responsibilities and there will be someone available 24/7 to respond to her changing care needs.  Thinking of you at this very difficult time