counselling

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

My husband had a prostatectomy 10 weeks ago, the prognosis is good so far.  But the effects of the op and the shock of finding out he had cancer has up ended our lives. Im struggling with what its done to us and to our relationship.  Has anyone tried counselling as a couple to help with the impact of cancer and how to deal with it?  If so where did you go?

• Hi Nerd

welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your husband. Any cancer diagnosis is overwhelming for all involved.

I've been offered counselling from several angles to help me support my husband through his cancer journey. He was given a terminal diagnosis in Sept 2020 when he was found to have a grade 4 brain tumour. The medical team at the hospital offered support. My employers also offered it via their employee assistance programme. Our GP also mentioned that the local hospice offered counselling. MacMillan also offer various services. It’s always good to talk so please remember you can call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear. If there's a Maggie's Centre near you, I believe they too can assist.

As yet I've not taken up any of the offers but its reassuring to know that they are there for when I feel ready to talk.

I hope this has helped. I wish you both all the best in sorting things out. Sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. Stay positive.

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• HI Nerd - i am so sorry to read this, my husband has a stage 4 diagnosis and its all so new we dont know the prognosis yet. I doubt it will be good though. I am definitely in need of counselling and i will take advantage of the employee programme available to me. I have also called the Macmillan support line a couple of times - just to let of steam and have a good cry really. i feel like my life is over and i'm only 50 so am really struggling. I feel your pain and please get as much help as you need. Depending if you are open to it, your GP is likely to offer you medication - i am taking everything offered to me at this painful painful time. Please reach out and seek help. xxx

• Hi Hermes - I'm so very sorry for what you are going through.  Thank you for taking the time to reply and empathise, I do appreciate it.  I will start with our employee assistance programme tomorrow and take it from there. I feel I cant burden friends or family so put on a brave face - I spent too many nights crying alone. I hope that you continue to get the support you need through this time and I'll be thinking of you.  thank you so much. take care please xxx.   

• Dear Wee me

Thank you for sharing this information.I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. I going to start with our employee assistance programme and take it from there.  I think I need to get my head in order to be able to support my husband. It's hard to know what to say to you, you've been so kind and helpful, I wish you well and send you lovely thoughts. 

best wishes 

Nerd xx