My 18 yr old son

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi. New to this. My 18 has been diagnosed with high grade brain tumour. They can’t operate. Radiation and chemo has helped slightly with the tumour size. He then had hydrocephalus and had a shunt put in. He says he’s fed up with having 2 good days and then 4 days in pain. Asking me what happens if treatment doesn’t work... what do I say? How can I help him emotionally. He’s had a tough 6 months and we still don’t know outcome till he finishes next round of chemo. Can anyone advise please 

• Hi and welcome to the community though so sorry to hear about your son and the issues he has been through and even more still faces.

Many can relate to the not knowing what happens next - we even coin a term "scanxiety" for that feeling of waiting for a scan to see if a treatment has worked - perhaps the only thing we can say is hope for the best but be ready for a setback.

You might like to have a look at Support and Chat and also of course our Brain cancer forum for people in a similar situation to you.

It can be difficult dealing with any family member with cancer as you can see in Looking after someone with cancer and especially the bit about coping with being a carer and who can look after you - sometimes it can suck and one thing most of us end up learning is about needing to learn to make some time to recharge our own batteries - I can only imagine how much more difficult that would be with your son though.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge