A bad day

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi. It’s a couple of years since I posted as things were going well. My husband has colon cancer with lung mets and prostate cancer with bone mets. Up to now he’s been coping really well and we’ve plodded on taking it day by day. At our last consultation his PSA has been rising again. The doctor started him on Bicalutamide along with his 3 monthly prostap. In the week he’s been on them he’s been a different person. Not eating ( unlike him) restless, moody and generally unwell. He’s due to start capecitabine on Saturday. I’ve spent the day chasing the nurses and being passed from answer phone to answerphone. 
I just feel really helpless today and feel like giving up. I know it’s selfish but I don’t know what to do . Has anyone else had bad side effects from Bicalutamide? 
Sorry for the rant. I just needed to offload xx

• Hi ,

Sorry to hear about your bad day though certainly recognize the issues around being passed around. Many carers I think will recognize these issues and it is not at all selfish to not know what to do.

At one point with my arthritis I was chasing my GP who said to me he sometimes felt ignored by the hospital just as much as I was - I then spoke to PALS and got the support I needed.

Do rant on here whenever you feel the need - we even have a special group The Room - Discussion Forum - specially designed for slamming the door on the way out.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Steve. Today has been slightly more productive. Got hold of our Keyworker nurse who advised to call 111. Have to say they were good and the doctor came within a couple of hours. Unfortunately he’s not well enough to start his chemo today but at least I have been reassured by the fact his SATS are still good xx