My mum lung cancer

• 7 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi everyone I’m new on here just wondered if anyone has any advice please. 
my mum was diagnosed just over a week ago with squamous cell carcinoma of the right lower lobe lung. Her tumour is 102mm x 60mm this scared me so much, does it mean she’s stage 4 because of the size? She went to see the respiratory doctor the other day , (we’ve not seen a oncologist yet) he’s said she needs a PET scan, lung function test and heart scan before they can decide what to do. I absolutely adore my mum she’s like my right arm. I have a 13 year old daughter who’s autistic, my I’m has been a massive part of her life from birth. She’s lived with us since my dad died in 2011 from a brain haemorrhage ( he was 59)

im normally a strong positive person but at the minute I’ve never felt so vulnerable and needy . I just want everyone to tell me everything is going to be ok. But I know deep down it’s not . I just can’t keep to get a grip of myself ( I don’t show my mum this) I just keep randomly crying, I can’t eat,sleep. I’ve got loads of questions but at the same time I don’t want to know the answers. Is this normal? 

• I feel like that still after my mums diagnosis 12 weeks ago, i think  trying to take 1 day at a time works, but easier said than done, i m a strong person i thought until this my mum is 85 my dad has just had weeks in hospital but survived covid i think for her,  when you see oncologist i feel it does help so you have a plan..thinking of you xxx

• Thankyou for your reply Snow , it’s a comfort to know I’m not alone in all this. First day not crying today . Mums got lung function appointment tomorrow 9am but not heard anything about the other tests yet. I hope it’s not too long , the waiting is unbearable x

• Let me know how it goes hopefully you will get more information. I also feel the more you know helps although I would do anything to not be hearing it xxx

• Toot22 

I hope you are ok and have managed to enjoy Christmas with your mum and daughter.

My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer as it has spread to bones and lymph. I dont know if it gets staged by size too. This was in December.

I just wanted to say I think/hope its totally normal what you are feeling. I.knowmi have been exactly the same.

Having 2 children who idolise my mum too. I get how scary it all if for you because it definitely makes it even harder knowing how you feel and knowing that your kids will have to know too.

Take care and I hope you have had more positive news since you posted xx

• Hi, my mum was also diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma lung cancer in December, which has spread to her lymph nodes and bones.

Since then, my mum has really been deteriorating rapidly.

I was wondering if your mum has experienced the same, and also if you have been given any treatment plans?

I wish you and your mum the best in this journey xxx

• Hi C.hristina,

Yes my mum deteriorated quick and was in so much pain through December. Treatmemt plan was agreed to do radiotherapy focusing on 3 areas of bone where pain was the worst. 1 intense treatment and chemo to see if it would slow the cancer down

I am pretty sure adenocarcinoma is what my mums is ill go away and check though bare with me and ill confirm this.

Then chemo every 3 weeks. 3 times so o weeks and re scan. I have to say the radiotherapy and morphine patches have completely got it all under control. Is it the pain that has got so much worse since having diagnosis? 

I am not a Dr obviously but my mum suffered for years before diagnosis and was told numerous times thats just how it is nothing else wrong etc. As soon as she knew could be serious the pain got dramatically worse and quickly. It's like now you know it's serious have some serious pain.

Has your mum got a treatment plan yet?

I really hope you and your mum are ok and we all managed to enjoy some quality time soon xxx 

• Hi sorry to hear about your mum my husband got lung cancer and has spread to the bones his in alot of pain in his left arm and shoulder he is terminal  and the hospital is going to give him 4 sessions  of chemo every 21 days we can't get our heads around it as this all started with a pain in shoulder we are hoping the chemo will ease the pain