How to help ? Lung cancer. Not yet got full diagnosis , but it has spread

• 11 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi.  We are in the in between stage, so all the fear and no help yet at all.  Waiting for the full diagnosis and treatment plan. Maybe next week, or the week after. 

Husband...opposed to self help self diagnosis.  I’m reading about management of symptoms etc , because I want to understand what I can do to help, what I have to face at second hand, .and also.because in the mean time, H is very very unwell.  As no official treatment plan yet in place, he has.no help for these uncomfortable distressing symptoms. He detests talking to me about this and leaves the room if I start to ask. 

He has bad infection and grim cough which triggered the diagnosis. He can’t sleep, can’t sit, complaining of bad pains in his hips, back and shoulders. Too tired to go for a walk. Baths help a bit. 

I guess there is no point trying to see GP as we don’t have the detailed diagnosis but in the meantime what can I do ? it’s especially difficult that he doesn’t want to engage with me about this.  It’s similar to the ostrich like refusal to go to the doctor about all this earlier. It took a big row to get him to see GP in first place. He detests help and won’t take advice. 

Any ideas ? 

• Hello Haga ; it’s good to e-meet you. Thank you for reminding me to let M process it. I’m sure you are right that he will need time. Unlike you (3 month wait...that must have been grim) M has first chemo today...it’s all been very fast, so we feel shellshocked and bewildered.  But that’s because it’s SCLC...mega aggressive. Our oncology team has given me some initial support but there’s only so much you can take in at once.  Although I do so get  what you mean about panicking about the word “hospice” , I’m resolved to look forward to meeting them. It appears that we will get a visit fairly soon.  Big hug to you and all readers.  X 

Just missing him : Grief is the flip side of love.