What to expect

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My husband has incurable spinal & lung mets (the primary is bowel cancer, diagnosed & treated 2 yrs ago) we thought he was cured.)

He has been home now about 6 weeks.  He was admitted as an emergency to an orthopaedic ward as it was thought he had a slipped disc, but the MRI & CT scan told us a different story.  he was moved to other wards but in the end sent home as there is nothing more they can do for him.  He is now unable to walk, or sit up unaided and has to be hoisted from bed to chair or chair to bed or commode or anywhere. 

I care for all his daily needs and attend to all his personal care, the district nurse comes in once a week to check his pressure areas.

We did have carers for 2 weeks but in all honesty they weren't really useful, they were nice people and helpful when they were here, but the system isn't geared to help people when they actually need it, they weren't here when he needed the commode, they weren't here when he needed to move out of bed because the pain was too great etc,  so I took a quick course in hoisting and in the end we decided to stop the care, our daughter, who lives fairly locally with her young family,  also learned how to hoist her dad.  

So really we are managing.  Intially after feeling very abandoned I think I'm coming to terms with things, we seem to have had to nudge and cajole and fight even for support.  We have been on both sides, as I know a lot of you also have, of  the cancer merry go round, and it seems to me that if you are treatable all the the stops are pulled out, if you're not......well that's it.

We had to ask the GP to visit - despite them getting the discharge summary etc - when she eventually did - we had to ask for referral to the palliative care team - who, incidently have contacted us once , but have still to arrange a meeting.

He has recently had acute urinary retention and had a catheter fitted and then last weekend  when I checked his catheter bag on Saturday morning it was full of blood red urine, I called the district nurse who said to make sure he drank lots and call back if there were any changes, within an hour he began to become very ill and shake uncontrollably, when I called her back she advised 999, so thats what I did. The paramedic thought he may be developing sepsis and arranged a crew to take him in. It was confirmed and he has now been in a week, it took a while for him to begin to feel better but by Thursday he was feeling quite sparky and they arranged for him to come home on Friday .  Then he develpoed diarrhoea - and because of his cord compression has no control and can't feel that he needs to go which is difficult for him and the staff.  They are suspicious that it's Clostridium Difficile - which given the amount of antibiotics he's had it probably is.  He's been moved to a side room and is feeling very ill. 

You have no idea when you're in this situation what's in store, and I often feel overwhlemed with the responsibility of caring and I feel no one person can just sit down and say "This is what's going to happen".  I guess they just don't know, but I find the not knowing very difficult

I am lucky I  have a lot of support, our son & daughter live locally and we have freinds who offer help and a chance to rant and my family are available if not local but I still feel a little overwhelmed sometimes.

I wonder today what the next few days will bring

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I'm so sorry for your situation, it's so very tough and it's hard to imagine even how to get through each day. Not knowing what to do, where or when to ask for help, it's overwhelming. I'm caring for my Dad who has a brain tumour, a very aggressive one. My Mam is disabled so I'm looking after her too. It's only been 7 weeks and I've already made myself ill, can't be ill because I have to be there for my parents most of the time. We are at the stage now where I'm reading all the booklets we have been given by various people trying to work out who to call when things happen. He had a very rough night so I'm on high alert. We had emergency carers for a few weeks and although appreciated the help to shower him, he got so stressed. Also they were often late and a different person everyday, Dad hated it. I hope you are OK and glad you have family and friends, although as the main carer you can feel it's all on you. Take care, thinking of you

• Hi there, I too find the lack of information frustrating and worrying. Although I know it's not always our job  or in our expertise  to diagnose or take over care but it would save a lot of time on the medical side and anxiety for us if we were better informed. Thinking of you all Pam xx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for taking the time to reply, goodness you have a lot on with both your parents to care for.

You must take care of yourself though as you say you need to be well. I hope you can find some assistance if only for an hour or two to give you a break.  Take care. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Hi Pam, thank you for replying, I like you really would appreciate a bit more information - or at least know who I can ask about things.  I know there are things on line, but they tend to be general and I'd like something more speciifc to our situation. Like you say I also think it might help the medical professions if us carers to know what to expect.  X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i am so sorry for your situation. i have just lost my mam to bowel cancer. in the months leading up to it we had private carers in, a district nurse every 3rd day to administer pain relief and in the last weeks nurses from the local hospice called in regularly- in fact in the last days they were with her overnight too  until she passed peacefully. i cant thank them enough for all the support they gave us which enabled mam to stay at home til the end. the not knowing is as you say so hard and thats because it really is different for everyone. if you havent already i would suggest you speak to your local hospice to see if they have any helpful advice and support to give you, we couldnt have coped without ours

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you, after another up and down day I'm going to contact them tomorrow. It seems he takes one step forward and three steps back. I feel if I had some idea of what to expect I'd be better able to cope.   

• I know, the smiling and nodding when you tell them about a symptom or problem, which they then examine and say they will review isn't a lot of help. We don't want the nitty gritty just maybe a simple explanation and what we should look out for or be concerned about. I for one definitely wouldn't think I was being put upon to do their job in assessing the situation, knowledge is power and gives back a little bit of control in a hugely uncertain time. I found it difficult to know if they understood when my partner wasn't eating, we went to 2 dieticians who simply gave common sense advice about nutrition, no help in getting him to eat. A few months later a doctor finally told us the reason why he couldn't eat and also explained that his body was not utilising  the food he did take.for this reason tube feeding was not really an option From that moment I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders, in one way bad news but I no longer felt that it was down to me to get him to eat and that they WERE aware of his situation. I think we carers should write a book for  guiding the medical profession xx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember

That is exactly it! The smiling and nodding and the head tilt! 

All I want is information, and like you say it doesn't need to be complicated, just a simple "this might happen", or "that happend because". 

It is about control of a situation, I know we don't have control as such but to have knowledge so that we can understand what's happening there and then would be good.  Like your worry about the eating, if you know why it's so much easier to adapt.  A person with cancer isn't in a normal situation and our general knowledge isn't much use in those circumstances. 

Maybe a book is a good idea!!

Thanks XX

• We can't be the only ones feeling this, thankyou for making me realise that it's not just me xx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember

I'm sure we're not. And it's so good to know that I'm not alone too. 

I don't know what I can do about it but it's so nice to hear that other people have the same questions and worries and have as much trouble finding the answers. 

I'm sitting here tonight having brought my husband home from hospital this afternoon, (incidentally with no instruction manual!)  Listening to him sleep, his bed and all he needs has been set up on what is essentially our dining room. He's glad to be here, but he seems so very tired. I'm hoping tomorrow will find him feeling better. X