Bedside manner

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My fiance has stage 4 bowel cancer and is between chemo treatments as he's had infections. He was rushed to hospital yesterday with another bout of sepsis. Everyone was doing their best for him and as usual I was wearing my positive face for Brian, my partner.  That was until the A and E consultant explained that they had yet to locate the source of the infection and it could be the cancer itself causing it and....if his heart failed did he want resusitating? He then asked if Brian knew what percentage of patients in hospital who have a heart attack survive and what percentage of those don't have brain damage. I was gob smacked as well as terrified. I told him sarcastically he was a ray of sunshine and he needed to work on his bedside manner. Throughout everything I have kept up a positive vibe for Brian as I don't want him to stop fighting but sheesh it sure was tough after that guy left. I know you are not supposed to hit doctors but I had to sit on my hands with that one. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there. This must be so hard for you to have to listen to such negativity and from a Doctor. I'm trying to be really strong and upbeat for my partner and it's so difficult. He also has stage 4 bowel cancer which has spread to lungs and liver. As we speak his son has taken him for his appointment today for chest scan. He seems to have gone downhill over the last week and we are due to get married on 21st october. We have to be optimistic and not listen to that one doctor x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Wee Mo,

Its a roller coaster as I'm sure you know.  We are due to get married on 24th September.  He's still in hospital and getting depressed as he doesn't think they'll ever let him home. 

I have my fingers crossed that your partner bounces back as they often seem to. Good luck for your wedding 

X

• FormerMember

We got married yesterday. My partner had to sit for the ceremony so we all did. Once home ge was exhausted and went to bed.

Today were back at the hospital for a check up following Brian's stay in hospital and his infection markers are high and they wanted to admit him but Brian said no so he had intravenous antibiotics and fluids. 

By coincidence we saw the grumpy doctor and he recognised us. This time it was very different and he was so nice. We're all human after all.  I'm pleased we saw him and were able to make peace so to speak.

What a difference a day makes. 

Good luck to you on your big day.

• FormerMember

Congratulations on your wedding.

My wonderful John passed away on 13th September. He went downhill very quickly after he was told the cancer had spread to his spine. I think he just gave up. We tried to bring our wedding forward but it wasnt to be. His funeral took place yesterday and this might strange but it was a good day celebrating his life.

Never quite got to be Mrs McKie but have 17 years of wonderful memories

I hope Brian continues to improve and you can maybe get away for a honeymoon if hes well enough 

Morag x

• Sorry for your loss but glad you have your memories take care of ypurself lots of hugs x

Granny Sue

• Congratulations xxxx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember

Thank you Morag 

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

This is such a cruel disease.

I hope you have the support of family and friends.

Maz

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Granny Sue

Thank you x

• FormerMember

Thank you Maz. I think it's not really sunk in yet. My family and friends have been great. On a plus point £1050.00 raised for cancer research at johns funeral. Which is brilliant.  X