Need a quick answer re Oramorph

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi. I doubt there will be anyone around at this time to help me but I don’t know where to turn. I picked up my husbands oramorph prescription yesterday and he has so far refused to take it, instead insisting on sticking with Nurofen Plus. He took some nurofen plus recently and they are not doing anything for the pain. From what I’ve read I don’t think he can have the Oramorph yet because it’s Norofen plus he’s already taken. Does anyone know?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

If he is taking Neurofen Plus that (I believe) that one contains Codeine; so yes you are right he should not double up with that and Oromorph as codeine is a morphine based product as well.  Wait until the time for his next Neurofen before offering the Oromorph.

There are some pain relief tablets he can take alongside Oromorph though.

I copied this from an NHS website but do check with his GP etc first as he may be on other meds too ?

"It's safe to take morphine with paracetamol, ibuprofen or aspirin.

Do not take codeine-containing painkillers that you can buy alongside prescribed morphine (and prescribed codeine). You will be more likely to get side effects.

Some everyday painkillers that you can buy without prescription from pharmacies contain codeine, which is a similar medicine to morphine. Codeine-containing painkillers from pharmacies include co-codamol, Nurofen Plus and Solpadeine."

Hopefully someone who has similar issues with more experience will reply later.

Take care, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you. I can hear him snoring next door bless his heart so he must have got comfortable. I think the next dose of pain relief will need to be the morphine which has me sobbing as feel like it’s a huge step in how he is doing. Thank you for replying 

• FormerMember

Hi again

It's about getting the pain management to the correct level so check how he is with the first dose. If he shows signs of being zonked out or away with the fairies do see if you can get the dosage level reduced little by little until it does the job with minimal side effects.

There is a lot of info about Morphine Based Meds here at CRUK (cancer research uk)

It may seem a big step but it is only about getting better pain relief to make him more comfortable - constant pain even when the patient tries to hide it will wear them down mentally and is very tiring to cope with for both of you.

Hope he (and you) have a better day, G n' J

• FormerMember

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will have a read 

• FormerMember

Morning

Did you manage to persuade your husband to try the Oromorph, and if so how is he with it ?

G n' J