Wife about to start chemotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hello there

My wife is about to undergo chemotherapy next week which is due to last 18 weeks. She was diagnosed with breast cancer back in December and required two rounds of surgery to remove the cancer. I’m feeling really anxious about this next stage, as is my wife, so I was hoping to use this forum to perhaps get some practical and emotional support from others. We have two boys (8 and 12) and quite frankly although we are trying to keep an open mind I’m really worried about things. I would really appreciate any support or advice as my wife goes through her treatment.

• Hello Positivedad, I'm on this journey with my husband he has had 6 months chemo and 9 months immunotherapy  over the last two years. He found chemo hard. I'm not going to lie very hard. It made him ill, (alhough quite ill before starting it) in all the ways that you hear and read that chemotherapy does and it was very tough for myself and family to see him go through this. As he had immediate growth on finishing his chemo he was offered immunotherpy ( now stopped due to side effects). I don't know what you have told your children but ours are aware of their dad's situation. A year into the situation we informed the younger two children that their dad's cancer was incurable (we had known this from the start) but softened the blow by telling them it was been managed by the treatment to stop it growing and when things change we would tell them. His treatment stopped dec 18 due to side effects the children are aware of this but thankfully on last scan cancer was stable present but no growth we have more results from a scan soon. I adopted the view along this journey with my husband that there is more fear of the unknown and did not want my children to feel this so have been as open and honest as I can be as they are on this journey with their dad too and yes it is very hard at times but we have and continue to have good times along with the bad. Accept any help from family, work and your children's school. Let your children help too with domestic chores, fetching your wife drinks etc. Good luck to your wife, you and your family,. You might find it helpful to join the breast cancer group if you haven't already to get more focused experience on the particular chemotherapy type your wife will be having. 

• Hi , this link will take you to a wonderful blog writen by our own Dreamthief for those who would like information and advice about chemotherapy, what you might need and what to expect.

I hope it all goes well. Thinking of you all,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sunflowers15

Hello Sunflowers15. Thank you ever so much for your response and advice. It is very much appreciated. Wishing you, your husband and children all the very best. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Thank you very much for posting this. It will certainly help us prepare. Best wishes.