Those with loved ones just diagnosed or waiting for an appointment, Check This Out

• 29 replies
  • 44 subscribers

So what do you do, who do you turn to, when you're in that stage of early horrors; the terror of diagnosis or possible diagnosis? For me, Day One was that moment of 'I've been having problems'. I stood over him and made him book an appointment to see the GP. When the doctor said 'it could be cancer', I needed someone to talk to straight away but most posts were about those with loved ones in much later stages so I held back and went into meltdown.

Are there any members whose loved ones are in the earlier stages of cancer, needing to ask questions, look for comforting words or to find someone in a similar situation? If so, please feel free to post a question or comment here and see if we can build a thread and continue it for those who need to talk/ask a question, but might feel a little hesitant. The more who join the conversation, the longer we can keep it going to help those with loved ones just diagnosed or waiting for an appointment, or just need help to get started. What was your Day One?

Love and hugs to All,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thankyou Goodhubby,

We actually won't receive our results until the 17th April when we have the review.... But in the meantime we do have a few days away from Tuesday, I am looking forward to it,and that time will happen for you and your wife too eventually.

I have said to my partner that it doesn't matter if we only have a 5 main walk to somewhere and he's struggling we will just get a taxi,that's if he wants to go out,it actually doesn't matter if we sit in,it's just some quality time together, and that's what's important. We will do everything so it makes life easier.

We take the car,but when we GI away we like to park up and be 'stress free' my goodness, what exactly does that mean these days?!

I am working tomorrow, and I work on wards,so I also see the other side and understand things from all prospectives.

Be strong Goodhubby, as much as you can,I hope tomorrow brings you a little sunshine.

Try and get some rest... Oh it's so easy to say isn't it. I went to my Mum and Dad's earlier and once again had a cry.

Take care and again,sending you and your wife love and a big hug.

Make a cuppa. Thinking of you all. X

• Morning we are only in cycle two off my hubbys cemo had to stop the 3 cycle as he’s kidneys could not cope with it he’s got a cough and pain in his calf’s muscles eating much better but like you have all said it’s the fluid intake that seems to be the problem when did you go back to work there’s so many things I want to talk about but have no idea where to get advice from I am feeling lost at the moment any onevwhere you can go and chat to people I don’t like this texting lol help anyone x. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to deebo

Hi deebo

I stopped work two weeks ago and I m still off, i don't know when I will go back but I have no intentions of returning until my wife has finished her operations.

My employer has been great although I know I cannot stay off forever. I am prepared to go part time if needed or I will look for more local work closer to home but I hope that will not be necessary.

It's difficult isn't it and I am no expert but I imagine there are people at MacMillan who specialize in advising carers on this subject.

We are all giving each other warm hugs 

Goodhubby 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to deebo

Hi and Good morning

My name is Ian and I'm one of the Macmillan online community champions, I would like to tell you about some places that might be of interest where you can go and have a chat to other people face to face.

Macmillans information for carers

The above is Macmillans information for carers

Macmillans Support in your local area

With the above you enter your postcode and you will get a list of Macmillan activities in your area and may have support groups where you could go and have a cup of tea and chat.

Maggies Centre

Maggie's have centres in various parts of the country and it maybe that you have a centre near to you. They normally open Monday to Friday and you can turn up and have a chat. Check with local centre to see what they have to offer.

Macmillans information centres can normally be found in hospitals and are staffed by Macmillan volunteers who will make time for you to have a chat.

I hope this is of interest to you and helps you find a safe place where you can go and mix with other people 

If I can be of any further help please come back to me and I will do what I can do for you 

Ian

• FormerMember

Hi Goodhubby,

How is your wife today and how are you and the rest of your family doing?

How are your children, I guess they are growing up,but they are still your 'children' and it's tough.

Thinking of you all.

Take care.x

• FormerMember

Hi Monto15

I went to see her this morning and she was stable but told me she did not want visitors today. 

I think it hurt her head to listen to people talked at her.

I sat quietly for a while with her and will go in the morning again.

Her parents obviously want to be with her but she tells me that she doesn't feel like talking and they want her to talk but it's difficult when there has been brain surgery I suppose it must hurt to have to think.

I think they will go for the second operation soon.

I pray for the best and remain positive. 

My wife is the bravest person I know. 

How are you?

Lots of hugs

Goodhubby.

• FormerMember

Argh... It's tough isn't it. Yes,it must hurt to think etc,after all if it was an arm or a leg it would hurt... We don't seem to think quite the same with the brain do we,but it still requires rest and recovery.

Yes parents will want to desperately see their daughter, but they naturally would want to talk,hard isn't it.

You are doing the right thing by going and sitting quietly, you wife knows you are there. Rest is the best!

How are you today?

I had a tough couple of days to be honest,my partner never complains but when you see they have discomfort it really is worrying and upsetting. I went to my mum and dad's yesterday and cried,but today my partner feels much better so that's good.

I have had a 13 hour hard heavy shift in work today so I am shattered. My life is quite a rollercoaster, as I'm sure a lot of peoples are.

Everything said,we must remain positive and hopeful.

Take care.

Love to you all.

• FormerMember

Went to see my wife again today and she was wiped out although I did get a a grilling when she asked me if the house was in order.

I have learnt so much over the past week.

I have set out a meal plan for myself and our two boys and I have been cooking fresh food because I don't want them to start eating unhealthily. 

The house is spotless and laundry done etc.

In fact I have divided chores between myself and our sons.

They have surprised me by how responsible they have been.

I am tired though and have started sleeping like a log 

I manage a couple of visits to my wife each day and we are hoping she will have hersecond operation to remove the front tumour asap.

I am amazed at how the neuro surgeons can remove these from patients brains.

I pray for the day when 'C' is cured.

Good wishes to you all.

Goodhubby.

• FormerMember

Fantastic news....

Your wife is obviously feeling a little better if she is thinking about the house being in order haha...

Your boys are supporting you well.

And get this next op done and dusted and then you can totally concentrate on recovery and plan nice things ahead..

Well done for doing such a great job!

Live to you all.x