Scared on unknown

• 5 replies
  • 13 subscribers

hi, I just received diagnosis of HER2 positive invasive ducal breast ca with lymph node involved. I’m starting antibody targeted treatment and chemo tomorrow. I’m sick with worry and it’s all happened in the past 2 weeks...I’ve 3 small children (4, 8 and 10). It’s overwhelming and shocking. I’m so worried about how they will manage. I’m really trying to be positive and have a fighting spirit..but it’s an emotional roller coaster. 

• Hi it certainly is a rollercoaster but you will eventually get off it.  It's hugely shocking and worrying when you are first diagnosed especially when you have young children.  Do you have a partner or friends or family who can help you with the children if you find you need help?

I don't know much about how chemo will affect you some people are affected more than others but it seems like people generally follow a predictable pattern with each round of chemo which will hopefully help you plan ahead for the days when you might be at your most tired.

There is a chemotherapy thread for those currently going through chemo on the main breast cancer forum which you would probably benefit from looking at and joining in with just click HERE

The main breast cancer forum tends to be much busier so it's always worth posting there as well.

Wishing you all the best xx

• Thank you for responding and for the advice. I’ll link in with the chemo group. 

• Hi fenit. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and worries. I m also going through what you are just about to start. I was terrified and worried sick however once I sat and got my first dose I felt relieved and calm. I m now awaiting my fifth chemo and doing ok. It is scarry not knowing what is coming, you will be fine. The worst is first week after treatment after that you feel stronger and have more energy. Don't be afraid to ask for help and be kind to yourself. If you have any particular questions about chemo please email me. I will be happy to answere if I can. Love. Aga xx

• Hi Aga, thank you for responding. I’m reassured to hear I’ll get some energy after week 1. I’ve 3 small children so the fatigue is difficult to deal with. They need my attention and I need rest so makes a difficult situation harder. 
    I’m finding the taste in my mouth hard to tolerate, have you any tips for helping that? I know it seems simple but if you’ve any advice I’d like to hear. 
    tjanks, 

Onsgh 

• My pleasure I can help. My worst time after chemo is between 4 th and 6 th day, regular exercise help, even a short walk and having breaks. With energy levels definetely regular meals help, even snacking on little things every 2-3 hours. With taste, I have noticed I need stronger flavours so I use more spices and herbs. If my tastes buds feel a bit flat I would suck on quite sharp tasting sweets or drink water with lemon. X