Struggling since life has returned to 'normal'

• 7 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and to the Macmillian online community. I was diagnosed to DCIS in Jan 2021 and I am 26. I have a mastectomy in March 2021 with immediate reconstruction and have since been given the all clear. Luckily it had not turned into invasive cancer. 

I am now over 4 months post surgery and since life has returned to 'normality', my brain is struggling, I think my body and mind has gone into shock after everything that has happened. 

I am looking for a support group for people who have been through what I have. How does everyone cope etc? 

Thank you in advance xox

• Hi SJK94 welcome to the forum.  Wow thats young to be going through all that you have. Define Normality???????? I always feel that we are forever changed after Breast Cancer and the life we accepted before takes on new meaning for us. Im a lot older than you so I cant even Imagine what it must be like for you being so young. 

Im not surprised that your brain is struggling to process things as it all moves very quickly, which is good, but doesnt leave much time to think, which again is good but it often comes back to bite us on the backside when all the treatment finishes and life is supposed to return to "normal" whatever that is, I dont' know!!! 

I wonder if you have heard of an article By Dr Peter Harvey entitled "After the treatment finishes:- What next". Have  a look for it online and see if anything in there makes any sense? I know I found it useful to understand some of what I was feeling and re-assured that it was perfectly "normal"!  xxxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi SJK94 I am 41 and about to go through a mastectomy because of DCIS too. I am so sad and depressed about it, especially because I do not currently have good options for reconstruction and I have to lose my nipple.

My surgery will be in a month but before then I have to have CT scan for tissue reconstruction and gene testing. This will help decide my options which I’ve already been told Are limited. 

I cannot imagine life without my breast and I am terrified for the moment I wake up without it. And then how I will cope with the recovery afterwards. My eyes are tearing up typing this.

where are you in the UK, I am in London. 

Rachel xxx

• Hi Rachel,

So rubbish to hear you are also going through the same experience as me and it is completely understandable and perfectly acceptable to be feeling the way you are feeling.

I have the braxon reconstruction and if I’m honest, it actually looks quite good- you would never know it’s an implant in a Relaxedra (I am a ‘little’ uneven out of a bra). I have also lost my nipple and I have been given a replacement stick on one, and it also looks good and convincing and making me feel surprisingly confident. I’ve also been given a small prosthetic for my remaining  boob to help balance. 

what reconstruction options have you been offered? 

Your recovery will take time, but I promise it gets slightly easier each day. Some days will be better than others but I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

i also get my genetics test results on thursday.  

I am in Dorset :) xxxx

• Hey Gail, 

you’re right, cancer changes you forever and has definitely put things into perspective. I have not heard of the article you have suggested but will have a read. 

The past few weeks I have been focusing on stuff that I enjoy and make me happy, which has helped me feel happier. I am taking one day at a time xxx

• Awww thanks for writing back so quickly, that’s really good to hear, my consultant has told me provisionally that she thinks I would be more suited to a tissue reconstruction but the plastic surgeon is worried I will only have enough fat for 2/3 the size of my other breast.

I am having the CT scan this wk which will either rule tissue in or out. Did you consider both? 

i actually had a look at those stick on nipples with my breast nurse and they are incredibly realistic! I was also reading about the braxon reconstruction - that is when it’s fitted on top of the muscle right? 

it would be good to chat more about your experience, I will PM you,! Xxx

• If I’m honest I didn’t really consider the tissue reconstruction option because they freaked me out and I play/do a lot of sport, so use my bum, tummy and side muscles a lot. Also, the length of time for recovery also put me off- I was back swimming within 8 weeks. Although I consider tissue for a short period of time. 

Yh they look surprisingly realistic and you’re given a glue to make it semi permanent. Yes that’s the one, and I’ve been given an option for my left side as well. 

you’re welcome to PM me, I’ll have to figure out how to access it xoxox

• Hiya the tummy situation is a concern of mine as well as I swim 2 or 3 times a week…..god there is so much to consider, nothing is straight forward! 

I’ve sent you a friend request - I think once you’ve accepted that we can private message each other xxx