Newly diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hello I'm Verity but everyone calls me Bubbles.

I've just been diagnosed and it's terminal. I'm nearly 25 and I just feel really cold and lost now. Don't know how to cope with this. The doctor explained so much but I didn't take it in. I didn't really believe it, I still don't, it feels like a bad dream and I just want to wake up but I can't. I don't want to die. I'm scared. 

Can anyone help me please? I feel really alone and lost. 

• Hi Bubbles

Diagnosis comes as such a shock , I remember it was like being hit with a sledgehammer when my husband was diagnosed. Not surprisingly you didn’t take it all in. Perhaps there is some hope for treatment in spite of being terminal? You’re so young. You’re not alone. There are many people here, ready to listen and help. Have you phoned the helpline? I have a buddy who calls me each week. I’ve also phone Samaritans when I’ve needed to talk. Or do you have a good friend you could speak to. Panic is overwhelming. Try to breathe deeply and concentrate on the now. Control what you can. Have a plan for each day and be kind to yourself, when you get through another day pat yourself on the back. It will take time. 
    Here with you xxx 

• Hi Bubbles

it definitely will have come as a shock to be diagnosed so young. 

There are lots of treatments available these days and new treatments becoming available. when you are ready to I would recommend heading to the secondary breast cancer group where there is a great thread about positive secondary breast cancer stories (I know it helped me when I was first diagnosed)

phoning the Macmillan helpline can also be a great help as you try to get your head round things.

take care

withak xx