Hi new here, 1 week post op lumpectomy and node removal.

• 5 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi all, 

gjad I have found this group. One week post op and suffering massive soreness, taking painkillers regularly, but getting so frustrated with myself with generally moving and not being able to get comfortable, even to watch Netflix! Lol 

gill

• Hi Gill49 welcome to the forum. I imagine  that this will be the swelling and bruising starting to come out and sometimes the pain is worse than a break as an example. Are you managing to do the exercises as even though it is painful it is so important that you do these to ensure you raging a full range of movement.

Have you got one of those V shaped pillows as they can be useful when sitting and can be good for laying the arm on if that would be of any help. xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi    Maybe also ask your doctor for stronger painkillers if the ones you are taking aren’t helping.  And as GRANNY59 says make sure you do the exercises daily and more than once a day if you can.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery x

• Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes feel very swollen today and not sure whether to be worried as it’s all over. I can do most of the exercises except the arms above my head at the moment. Just continuing daily with the exercise to Friday 7th when I go back to hospital for review. 
    I have ordered a v shaped pillow and this arrives this week. I also spoke to drs who has discussed other painkillers to help with being uncomfortable. 

I just feel very anxious as don’t know what’s normal post op, can the breast swell all over or just where the surgery was done? 
    Trying to be a good patients and resting and sleep and moving occasionally each hour. I’m just getting so frustrated that basic daily tasks are harder than I thought to do! Lol. It’s early days post op and I know I just need to rest and give myself time to heal and recover. 

thank you all for your advice 

Gill

• Hi , I think everybody's normal is different, if you have concerns about the swelling let your doctor know especially if the area is red and/or warm to the touch as that could indicate an infection.  Better to be safe than sorry.

I think the breast can swell all over without their being anything to worry about but as it is worrying you I think a quick call/message to your doctor or breast care nurse will give you what you need.  x 

• Hi  I hear you- it’s so damn uncomfortable isn’t it? A pillow under the arm helped me sleep better... I’m 3 weeks post op ... everyone’s different but soreness is normal but good you’re resting as that will help no doubt. I’ve been a little naughty with exercises and need to keep them up. The nurse said to stick to the simple exercises for first 2 weeks (gentle stretches) and then moving to the second batch of stretches with arms above head only after two weeks. Bruising can last a while but good to flag swelling with the nurse /doctors. The swelling and pain can reach beyond the operated areas given nerves but if worried, always good to check as can put your mind at ease and I’ve found the nurses to be super helpful. Do you have a breast cancer nurse/number to try? 
    Not being able to lift stuff is a pain and limits what can do and the pain made me irritable and frustrated in that first week post op ...now feeling more like myself ..hope this gives you hope that it will get better xxx