New to this, about to start chemo

• 6 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi, I start chemotherapy on Friday (all been well), any advice please for things I could/should do before? Get a hat? Take a book? I sooo don’t know what I’m doing.

It al feels surreal at the moment, I have a feeling it’s about to get real

Also, does anyone have experience of working during treatment?

• Hi,

I hope you are doing OK?

My advice for chemo is take a book, I take my sons old game boy too, a tablet or phone with a film downloaded, snacks (although my hospital provides hot drinks and lunch), drinks, sweets to suck. Wear comfy clothes, layers so you can keep warm/cool. I'm not sure about the hat thing, I lost my hair so have loads of hats and scarves but I think the advice if your cold capping is to take a hat cos your hair will be a mess afterwards!

I've had 5 cycles of chemo (2 more to go!) and it still seems surreal to me.

I hope that's of some use?

Love xx

• Thank you soo much for the advice, think I’d better get buying some hats... x

• How did it go? And how are you feeling now? I hope your feeling OK and everything went well xx

• Aw thanks for asking, felt awful on the day, felt sick until about 6am today but been popping the anti everything drugs and loads better today regarding sickness. More tired than I knew was possible.
    Thanks for the hat advice, borrowed a woolly trendy one from my 16year old daughter - don’t think she’ll wear that ever again now I’ve worn it.

You said you are on cycle 5 -how’s it going? Have you found each cycle similar or do they vary?

x

• I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Regards tiredness, some people recommend short walks and I have tried those when I felt able. Other times I've just slept all day. But that's just me! Haha.

Yep, I think you're safe to keep your daughters hat now! I found some nice scarf types on amazon, ones that don't have to be tied.

I don't know what regime you're on but I had 3 cycles of EC (one does every 3 weeks) and felt rough for 5-7 days but then I was as normal ish for the other 2 weeks. I'm now on 4 cycles of carbotaxel (one of them weekly, and the other every 3 weeks) and I'm OK with those, apart from the double week where I take all available anti sickness.

Apparently chemo has a cumulative effect tho. But, it's working and I've managed to carry on doing most things (apart from work, as I work in a high risk area). And everyones experience is different.

I really hope you sail through it

Love xx

• Thanks for the advice ice, really appreciate it. I’m on EC at the moment 3 lots then I don’t remember the next drug x taking one step at a time.

Hope you are keeping well?

x