Having issues with the wound

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

Hello all apologies for what is probably going to be a long post..

I was diagnosed with hormone receptive cancer on the 1st July and had surgery on the 7th of August. I'm now nearly 4 weeks post op and I still have dressings on as fluid is leaking from the wound. I'm getting quite frustrated that it doesn't seem to improve and whilst the dressing have to remain on I am limited to strip washes. The bra I was given isn't tight enough as I'm an awkward size (28gg so small back and large bust) so the bra is packed so stop the fluid. It appears to work until I visit the wound clinic where in the brief time the compression is off it fills with fluid and by the time I get home my dressing is saturated and needs replacing. There's no sign of infection but I don't know how long this is going to go on for and was wondering if there was anyone else who has had a similar issue or if there's anything I should suggest they do as no one seems concerned about it and just keep sending me off with spare dressings.

I saw the consultant today who advised there was trace amounts of cancer found in the sentinel lymph node biopsy (micrometastases) and I have to wait 3 weeks before I see an oncologist and find out if I need chemo or not after being told I won't need it and that I won't see him again for 6 months. There was no mention of removing other lymphnodes or anything else. I just feel a little abandoned as there's no follow up to check the wound again although they did say to ring if I'm still having issues but it just seems a little pointless at this point if all they're going to do is what I can do myself at home. Sorry that was bit of an off load I'm just feeling really fed up and now I've been left not really knowing what is next for 3 weeks! 

• Hi  

It sounds like a difficult time you're going through with your wound leaking. This didn't happen to me so I can't help there 

I too had micro deposits in one lymph node and had to see an oncologist about 3 weeks later to see whether to have chemo or not. I was borderline for really needing it but he was happy to authorise it if I wanted to go ahead, which I did.

There was no mention of having all my lymph nodes removed and, although I didn't ask, I assume it was because there were only micro deposits in one of the two lymph nodes removed.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"