Breast radiotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, 

I’m looking for advice on breast radiotherapy.  I’ve had a lumpectomy, 4 lymph nodes removed and I’m about to finish 20 weeks of chemo.  I’ve managed well on chemo, some low points but generally ok. I’ve worked throughout, done school runs etc. it’s not been easy but manageable most of the time. I seen a different oncologist and she was not impressed I’ve been working (it’s been a welcome distraction and kept my mental health in check). I’m having 15 consecutive weekday rounds of radiotherapy starting beginning of September and she’s told me to write off the month, I won’t be able to work, I’ll feel dreadful and to forget a holiday in October (the nurse said 2 weeks post radiotherapy we could go away) and to forget exercise until January. 
This has really thrown me, I know radiotherapy isn’t a walk in the park but is it that bad? Worse than chemo?

it’s really knocked my mental health, she was very patronising suggesting if I need to be kept occupied I should look up recipes with carnifourous vegetables and reevaluate life! 

I know treatments are different for everyone but would like to know some real experiences to prepare myself. Thank you

• Hi  

I had 10 days of radiotherapy after chemo and surgery. For me, radiotherapy was the easiest of the three and the only side effect I had was a slightly itchy rash towards the end.

During radiotherapy I was able to continue my normal day-to-day life, which included going for a 3 mile walk every morning. Two weeks after my radiotherapy finished I went away on holiday.

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply, it’s good to hear it went well for you. Your experience is similar to what 2 nurses advised and what I’m hoping for.

Many thanks 

• Hi

I am heading to the hospital for day three of radiotherapy (I've had surgery but no other treatment).  Although I am not working at the moment the team at the hospital have told me to carry on as normal but as they give a higher dose over 5 daysy fatigue is a big issue and just to listen to my body

As the radiotherapy keeps working after 5 sessions I have been told I may feel more tired two to three weeks after the last session.

The only thing I have been told to avoid is swimming as the chemicals can irritate the treated skin.

• Thank you. I hope your treatment is going well. I had my scan this week and was told I’m also having ‘boost sessions’. 
    Im planning on reducing work doing gentle exercise and seeing how it goes Blush

• Thanks so far i have only felt fatigued on the second day. The worst thing for me has been pain in my shoulders and my arms going dead.  The nurse suggested having painkillers beforehand and that helped a lot.

Hope it goes well for you x