Pre- assessment appointment for mastectomy

• 22 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I have a pre assessment appointment booked for the 19th of September for my mastectomy and just wondered in other people's experience how long did you have to wait for your surgery after you had your pre-assessment appointment?

I'm just a bit anxious because I lost my father yesterday and am in the middle of planning his funeral and am worried that my surgery date will clash with his funeral.

Thanks 

• Hi  

I'm so sorry to read that you've just lost your father and know what a difficult time this will be for you.

I can't help with your question but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much that's very thoughtful of you Blush

• Hi Butterflypanda

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. You must be feeling sad and anxious all at the same time and that's just horrible to deal with. Sending you a big hug x

I expect your surgeon has a date in mind for your surgery, but it sounds like you haven't been informed? If so could you ring the breast care nurse and ask them to find out for you? Or the surgeon's secretary? My mastectomy is pencilled in for 20th Sept but I only got a pre-op date today, which is booked in for tomorrow. So, it's the other way round for me.

If you speak to your breast care nurse and let them know the date of the funeral, I'm sure the surgeon will work around it.

All the best 

Jo xx

• Hi Jo,

Thank you for your kind words. 

So apparently getting a mastectomy date is taking longer for me because I'm pregnant and they need the appropriate staff present. Thanks for the tip I called my nurse and let her know the date of the funeral, so she's gonna pass that info on so they can work around that.

Oh all the best with your pre-assessment sending hugs. 

I'll be thinking of you x

Ethlyn x

• Gosh, so many things on your plate. Your head must be spinning. Congrats on your pregnancy though, is this your first baby?

Sending you lots of love at this time. Good luck with everything and hope the little baby is born nice and healthy

• I know, thankfully I have a great employer.

This will be my second baby.

Awww thank you.

I hope it all went well for you today x

• Pre-op went well, thanks. The only problem was my slightly high blood pressure...surprise, surprise! After everything I'm going through, what else do they expect!! Rolling eyes

• Lol typical isn't it.

Was it a long appointment?

• Hey!

It took about an hour. They do ECG, blood pressure (several times for me), MSRA swabs, blood tests, finger prick test, listen to your heart and lungs, then ask a load of questions about your general health and give you a booklet about the anesthetic.

Hope you are OK what with the funeral and everything else Heart

Take care now

Jo xx

• Hey Jo,

Ah ok so pretty standard stuff..

I'm up and down but getting through as best I can.

Thank you for asking.

All the best for your surgery, I'll be thinking of you.

Heart️ Ethlyn