BRCA1 positive - How do you come to terms?

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all, 

Due to my mum passing last year of womb cancer, I found out she was BRCA1 positive so got tested in August. Found out I also carried this mutation.

How did you all come to terms with this? 

One minute I'm ok, then the next feel like my world has just collapsed and I don't know which way is up. I'm terrified of going through what my mum went through, and I don't even have cancer! Makes my so angry with myself for feeling so scared! 

I feel so alone right now... any help or advise to come to terms with this would be greatly appreciated l.

Thanks

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm very sorry that you lost your mum to cancer recently and it's natural to worry because you've found out that you also carry the BRCA1 gene.

I haven't been in your position but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list. I'm sure some forum members will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Sazipan,

Wow I feel for you, losing your mum, finding out you’re at higher risk this is a lot to carry. It has taken me years to come to terms with being BRCA positive and while it’s coming up on ten years soon I still have days where I wonder am I doing the “right” thing. If I could get a crystal ball that tells me yes you’re going to get cancer if I don’t go through with preventative surgery that would be fantastic. 
    The being ok one minute and not the next was how it was for me too. You’re grieving and I hope you have at least one person you can get support from. There’s also the community here and the helpline if you need to speak to a human. Self compassion is key and taking your time with deciding how you want to move forward. I also hope you’ve been offered counselling after getting your results…

Take care and I’m around if you need to chat,

Marie