Preventative surgery

• 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi . I am male who had breast cancer 2 years ago. Obviously that rang alarm bells genetically and I was tested and found to have BRCA2. Whilst only me and my daughter have been diagnosed withthis,  breast and pancreatic cancer run through my maternal line.

My daughter discovered breast cancer 2 weeks after her BRCA2 diagnosis- she has had double mastectomy and ovarian removal booked. I have eventually got my head around all this and decided to have the other breast removed- but that decision was over a year ago and the operation appears no nearer as our local area is not even able to cope with the actual cancer surgery let alone elective.

Has anyone else had the same delay issues and any suggestions how I can proceed? MacMillan nurses have tried to hurry the process, but naturally actual cancer operations take precedence and there is nothing they can do further.

• Hi Saintdegus,

I'm sorry to hear you and your daughter have been going through all this.

The NHS waiting lists especially for preventative surgeries are long, the fallout from COVID has especially hit all the NHS services so hard, but there will come a point where you've been waiting for so long they'll end up bumping you along and everything will move very quickly. Mainly I deduce because they don't want their overall figures to look bad?

I have just had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed after waiting from my initial referral for preventative surgery almost 2 years previously. I'm 45 and had my Preventative Bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction 9 years ago, it was my personal choice to wait longer for further surgery until I'd decided on having children.

I saw the consultant on 28th Feb and was booked in for surgery by the 28th March (that was 2 years and 1 week from my referral from my genetic councillor that went direct to my GP.)

Wishing you all the best and I hope everything moves along soon for you.

Warm Regards,

Anne-Marie.

• Many thanks for your reply and sorry you have had so much grief too. 
    It’s helpful to hear someone else’s delay for elective surgery. As a male in a very female situation it’s not so easy to get information so many thanks for that.

All the best 

john

• Hello John, I’m sorry to hear about the long wait you’re experiencing. There have been a few men around here in a similar boat. Hopefully they might respond. Also, there is a male breast cancer forum I’ve seen around the online community that could be helpful to you.

I hope you don’t have to wait much longer,

Marie