Surgery after Brca 1 diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

After speaking with genetics I was advised that my best chance of not getting breast cancer again would be to have a double mastectomy. I was also told,  because I’ve had radiotherapy on both breast that it means a bigger operation. I’m waiting to hear back from my oncologist at the moment because although having this surgery helps prevent a new cancer diagnosis, it doesn’t stop the old one coming back. I feel very emotional at the moment and really don’t know what to do. At the moment I have a mammogram once a year and a MRI once a year. Are there any other options? 

• Hi  

It really is horrible when you're given treatment choices because you worry that you might make the wrong one. 

I can't help with what other options there might be but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Daisy77, I’m so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis, going through treatment and then being advised a mastectomy would reduce your risk. That is a tough situation and feeling emotional sounds to me like you’re really processing everything that’s coming at you. I found out I’m brca positive 8 years ago and my chances of getting breast cancer by the time I’m 85 years old is about 90%. I’ve also been getting annual MRIs and mammograms I’m getting sick of doing them now and so will have my double mastectomy done in a few months. I would be interested in your oncologists answer on if there are other options for you. 
    I feel for you with the worry about recurrence and can only repeat what I’ve read a lot from people with the same valid worry, anything that doesn’t feel or seem right to you get it checked up. There will be a process from your oncologist I imagine to check in on you and do tests at specific times and then there’s what you choose to take control of and it sounds like you’re currently at another cross roads in this cancer journey.

Hugs

Marie

• Thank you for replying and your help