16/02/24 Doomsday?

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Today I was was told I have inherited the BRCA2 gene.Gutted.While I had the test I honestly thought I would be clear.My cousin got in touch a while ago to say her mum's cousin has been in touch to say she had BRCA 2 and it had been traced to my dad's side of the family.My dad passed in 2013 due to mouth cancer spreading(he smoked both cigarettes and cigars before diagnosis)to other parts of his body so obviously he couldn't be tested and I was the next in line from my dad's side Looking at my dad's side of the family tree,there were no red warnings to the fact I might have it..Yet I really do and after spending the day crying I am now writing it all down here so sorry for the long-winded text.

I am worried.Im in my late 40s and live/lived a very colourful lifestyle,I don't smoke but I do vape and I definitely drink more than 14 units of alcohol a week(please don't judge)maybe more like 40,I've also suffered with health anxiety for as long as I can remember and now the cancers I've always been scared of have become a bigger probability/chance of occuring.

I can't shake the feeling of doom and I am worried this feeling isn't going to pass.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't had this test but I have had two cancer diagnoses over the years so do understand how frightening being told that you've inherited a gene that could predispose you to getting cancer would be.

I'm not a member of this forum but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again. Hopefully some of the other forum members will be along soon to tell you what happened next for them.

Sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi,

I can imagine that it is a lot to take in. I was upset when I received my letter. I currently have breast cancer, hence why I was tested. I believe that you can access genetic counselling which could help. Now I know it has helped me make choices with my oncologist about my treatment so I am seeing this knowledge as a positive. 

I hope this helps and sending you many hugs xx 

• Hello Forreal, I’m sorry to hear of your Brca 2 diagnosis it does come as a shock to everyone on some level I think. There have recently been a few people who have reached out here with recent diagnosis if you haven’t already seen these conversations it could be helpful. I can honestly say I haven’t felt judged here and I don’t think anybody is to blame for any cancer diagnosis ever. How cancer occurs in the body is so complex. 
    If you decide you want to decrease how much alcohol you consume that’s for you to choose. 
    I would reach out for genetic counselling support, anything you share with the counsellor will be confidential and they’re there to help you figure out what’s best for you in a non judgmental space.

If you have any specific questions please ask, I may take a day or two to respond but I’m around.

Hugs

Marie