Mastectomy vs Breastfeeding

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Hi. I am 33YO and have just received the results that I am a carrier of the BRCA2 variant. My paternal aunt and grandmother both died in their 40s, after being first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their 30s. Aside from all the obvious fear around having a RRM, my husband and I haven't had children yet, so obviously that is a big thing on my mind at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of getting breast screening through pregnancy or whilst breastfeeding? From what I can find online, screening is more difficult because of the increase in breast tissue density, but I can't seem to find a straight answer on whether it will be performed in women at high risk. I feel so trapped; I know surgery is the most logical answer, but I never imagined a world in which I wouldn't be able to breastfeed my children (I know this is not important to everyone, and each to their own, but it feels like an absolutely huge loss to me). Has anyone decided to delay surgery for this reason? Or perhaps had the surgery despite wanting to breastfeed - how did you feel afterwards? I am a midwife, and I am really scared about how this is going to affect my psychological ability to care for women I look after. 

• Hello CGF, first of all let me welcome you to the gang of Brca carriers, I have been diagnosed with Brca 1. I was also in my early 30's when I found outtwo days after my wedding I was in a hospital speaking with surgeons and nurses telling me about my risk factors, it was surreal.

I'm 42 now and decided to get yearly MRI's to screen for any potential breast cancer for the past 8 years. I'm sorry to hear about your paternal aunt and grandmother dying. You have chosen to know what your risk is and so it will be your decison what is best for you. There is no right answer or way. I hope you've been offered counselling, if not please seek out this important mental health support.

I have decided not to have children and so can not speak to the importance breast feeding has for you. I would say that the medical advances that have happened within the breast cancer research area have been great. Not so much on the ovarian cancer side unfortunately.

Before I knew I was a carrier of Brca 1 I was so sure it was a no brainer to just whip out the parts of my body necessary however with the support of some good therapists and my husband and the screening I had over the years it's taken my this long to be properly ready to go head with the risk reducing mastectomy with reconstruction. I have found this online community so supportive over the past year and it's been a safe space for me to engage with others. If you have other questions I'm here.

I wish you all the best with choosing what is right for you,

Hugs

Marie