Risk reducing surgeries

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I did it! I finally had my risk reducing double mastectomy in June 2023 to flat. Not a decision that family and friends may have made they made that quite clear, but it was right for me, I have a young son and I needed to be on the operating table for the least amount of time possible, and to have the shortest recovery time too. I can’t lie it was a little tough going( the recovery I mean) , After I had fluid drained from the area, I sadly got an infection. This can happen after you have a seroma drained more than a few times but lucky me ( sarcasm intended) I had it early on and it was after the first time I had it drained. I wont put the gory details on here, but it took awhile to heal.
Even after all I had been through mentally and emotionallyl and physically, I still had someone ask.” Was it really worth it then?” My answer.” Yes, it was worth it as I’m here.

So you are deliberating having your risk reducing operations. Yes there can be side-effects or a longer healing process, but my mental well-being is so much better afterwards. No more stressing to see if I find a lump no more wondering if I have anything growing in my body I will still continue to check, BRCA one fu#k you, You have taken up enough of my headspace and now to continue living my life.

• Hi  

That's great to hear that you've had the surgery that you wanted and are happy with the results.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts here.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Previvor, congratulations on being the other side of it now.  I can hear your relief. Good for you being clear on your choices, I’ll bet the people asking silly questions haven’t had the worry and stress of a potential cancer diagnosis. 
    Can I ask if you’ve any tips for recovery? I’m due to have my double mastectomy with reconstruction in a few months time..

All the best for your and your family’s future,

Marie