Brca 1

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I found out I had the brca 1 gene during covid after having had breast cancer twice. I have since had surgery to remove my fallopian tubes.

Tomorrow I’m meeting with my genetic consultant but I’m not sure what questions to ask. I’m worried how to tell my family and are there any other options other than more surgery. 

• Hello Daisy77,

I'm sorry to hear it's been confirmed you've tested positive for Brca 1. I'm surprised you're meeting with the genetic consultant after surgery. When I met with the genetics people it was more information being given to me and asking if I would participate in some of their research.

I would speak with some of the Macmillan support that's available here. I was offered counselling at different stages by the NHS have you? You've gone through alot and continue to it's important you get the support you need.

Hugs,

Marie

• Hi Daisy, I have brca 1, I was tested after my sister got bc at 42, the choices are completely yours whether to have the surgeries or not or just continue with screening. I had my bso ( tubes and ovaries out) because I was 43 and finished having a family but now they can offer to just remove tubes so you don’t go into surmeno ( surgical menopause ) straight away. Mris on breasts will also be given aswell as mammograms now you know you have brca gene. Surgeries are a personal choice and it’s difficult to decide but please gather as much info as you can before making your decision. Support is needed for emotional well being but this may not be from family and friends, I found groups like this and ones on fb with people in similar circumstances help and support more.