DIEP Reconstruction

• 7 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I'm due to have bilateral mastectomies with DIEP reconstruction in 2 weeks. I would be grateful if anyone can share their experience of their recovery please?  Feeling apprehensive about the surgery so any advice would really be appreciated. Thank you. 

• Hello Maisie33

I hope you don't mind me responding as I had a different type of cancer to you but I noticed you had not yet had a reply. 

I am sorry to hear that you are due to have bilateral mastectomies and a reconstruction in 2 weeks time. It is very natural to feel apprehensive about surgery- I know I was. The things that helped me most were having information about what was going to happen and to talk to others about my worries. 

I will pop a couple of links below that you may find helpful. Also please do consider giving the Support Line a call if you feel talking things through would help. The number is below and they are lovely on there. The nurses can also answer any medical worries you may have. 

Removing the breast (mastectomy) | Macmillan Cancer Support

Breast reconstruction | Macmillan Cancer Support

I hope this helps a bit. Hopefully someone who has had the surgery you will be having will now see your post and offer some support.

I wish you luck with your surgery and a comfortable recovery.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much Jane.

Xx

• Hi Maisie,

I'm ATM positive and had implant removal, mastectomy and bilateral DIEP 11 days ago.  I was diagnosed with BC  in 2021 and had a single mastectomy and sentinel node clearance then with a temporary implant, followed by a complete node clearance after chemo as two nodes were positive.  I then delayed this surgery for a year so I could focus on getting fully well after a year of cancer treatment.

After the DIEP I was in ITU for one night with loads of lines still attached and really couldn’t move much without a lot of pain.  I had an arterial line to continuously monitor blood pressure, two internal Dopplers to monitor blood flow to the flaps, a drip for fluid and glucose, a separate drip for patient controlled anaesthesia, two drains, a catheter and ECG monitors.  It was really honestly all ok, I had a lovely nurse with me all night which was very reassuring and plenty of pain relief, but just be prepared for all that and for being woken every hour for them to do their checks.

The next day I was moved to a chair by the physio, which hurt like hell!  But they really want you moving as soon as possible.  I went up to the ward that afternoon, and things started to improve pretty quickly.  I was properly mobile the next day and could eat and drink so got rid of most of the lines and the catheter, they took the drains out on day 3, and I was discharged home after 4 nights.  

Since then I’ve been seeing daily improvement, but it is tough.  I’m walking outside twice a day at least, able to shower and do daily tasks etc (as long as they don’t involve any lifting, pushing or pulling!), and yesterday reduced my pain relief to just paracetamol in the morning and evening.  It still hurts to cough or sneeze and I’m still propped up in bed as it’s very tight on the tummy to lie flat, but those are slowly improving.

Are you having lymph nodes removed?  My shoulder/breasts have been an absolute breeze after Diep, no problem or pain at all.  I had far more pain and stiffness there after the node removals.  This time it’s the tummy, which is expected.

overall I’m delighted so far with the results, although I may need a second stage just to even things up. 

Happy to answer any other questions you have, and thinking of you Two hearts

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It's all very scary but it's reassuring to know that you're doing well and it's all doable. 

Compression garments and button fronted nighties bought in readiness Blush

They will remove lymph nodes for pathology and we will take it from there. I guess I may need more clearance if lymph nodes are positive.

Ive just finished chemo. All very daunting! 

Thank you again and hope you continue to recover well.

Xx

• It is scary, I’m with you on that Hugging.  But it is doable, and you will be on the mend very soon.

yes, the compression garments are oh so sexy, aren’t they Rofl.  I also bought cotton full coverage knickers to wear underneath as it’s much more comfortable having cotton against the scars and I can change them a couple of times a day. So would recommend that.  

Take care of yourself, hope it all goes well and fingers crossed your nodes come back negative

xx

• Good evening. Op was last Mon so 5 days ago. Feeling tired but OK. Still needing reg pain relief but moving about ok. The one thing that's troubling me is all the breast swelling. Any ideas when this improves? Hope you're continuing to do well.

So nice to be able to share experiences. Blush

• I have braca2 and went through the surgery there was alot of things bk then I was not told there is no feeling in your breasts which makes sex less enjoyable which I had to figure out myself and therefore became resentful and ended up hating them ,then didn't get involved with anyone for 10years and counting which has a knock on effect.They do look amazing but totally useless.same with the nipples I feel less of a woman and none gets me .Get every bit of information you can Hun and councelling before and after as I wasn't offered any .I have just been diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer which also apparently is connected to braca2 so look into that