23 and me BRCA 2 positive

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

So recently i got an email from 23 and me telling me i needed to log in because a report had changed. That’s when i opened it and found out i have the brca 2 gene. It said that with the variant i have i have a greatly increased chance of breast and ovarian. My dad’s side has a family history of breast and ovarian cancer. I went to the GP today and felt that i wasn’t taken seriously. (i’m 20 and a female) does anyone else have experience with finding out you are brca positive from 23 and me?

• Hi @sunflower2003. I really was not aware that home DNA kits could detect BRCA until I saw your post. With all of my family members that have been diagnosed with BRCA1 there was a great deal of discussion and decision making, before they undertook the test. In my day, there was also counselling sessions, I don’t know if that is still the case, but I would think that a home test for DNA was not the most reliable of source. If there is a high number of family members who have had breast cancer, then it would be acceptable to ask the GP for a blood test to determine if you do have the gene. If one of your parents do have the gene, then there is a 50% chance that you may have it, but only a blood test will determine this.

It will be very interesting to see if anyone else has found out in this way. I think it is a very unprofessional thing for 23 and me to do, as a way for them to make money! 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hello sunflower23, I also have never heard of anyone having a dna home test and finding out they’re Brca positive. I had to show a strong family history of breast and or ovarian cancer in my family (they were on my mothers side) and then had a number of counselling sessions before even the idea I would be tested. Is there even consent being given to them to check for such specific gene defects?! 
    I agree with Chelle that if you have a strong family history and you can get the details of who had what type of cancer at what age this is a strong basis to get tested and I would get a second opinion. I’d also bring along the documentation 23 and me have used to show how they’ve found this.

Hugs,

Marie