Unsure about a regular breast augmentation vs. preventative mastectomy, haven’t had the BRCA test yet…should I?

• 6 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi all, 

Would really appreciate some insight. My mom had breast cancer and her mom had ovarian cancer, and both were diagnosed in their 60s and both passed away from it. I’m not sure if either had the BRCA gene as they weren’t tested, and I haven’t had the test. Now, I want to get breast augmentation surgery but I’m wondering if I should have a preventative mastectomy plus reconstruction, or just a “normal” boob job. I’m really determined to minimise my risks of cancer, but I also believe it’s a fair amount more intense going the mastectomy route so maybe I ought to have the BRCA test first, to determine my risk? Essentially I want to both reduce my risk, and have breast augmentation, but I don’t know what surgery route to go down and if I should “bother” pursue the BRCA test to help me decide. If anyone has any advice, experience, or resources I could look into, I would be so very grateful.

Also, I am a 28 year old female. I live in the UK. I talked to my GP and have determined that the NHS won’t be able to sponsor a gene test as I don’t meet the criteria. I’ve now run into a dead end and am unsure who to talk to.

Thanks so much for reading

• Hello CBeat.

I  am sorry to hear of your strong family history and v surprised that you're unable to have genetic testing. I would think you are definitely eligible and wonder if you can ask your GP to refer you to a family history clinic to confirm or otherwise? I have recently been diagnosed with triple negative BC and my genetic testing came back positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation. I too lost my mother when very young. I think views are changing and genetic testing is becoming recognised as an important aspect of BC  prevention. 

Best of luck xx

• Hi CBeatt,

I think because both your Mum & her Mum were over the age of 60 when they had their respective cancers, this then means you are ineligible for the NHS to check if you potentially carry a BRCA mutation. Therefore meaning the genetic counseling is also unavailable as your GP is the only Dr who can refer you for this.

I would think this definitely doesn't mean you might not have a genetic mutation. It's still highly likely and potentially the BRCA2 mutation in particular is associated with both Breast and Ovarian in later life.

Looking online you can consider going private for a test. I think if you're considering augmentation anyway and have the funds for this, then it's a no brainer to go private and rule out any gene mutation in your DNA?

I'm not sure if following on from this and if a mutation is discovered then maybe you could go back to the GP with the information and request a referral for the genetic counselors and on to a surgical referral on the NHS?

This CancerReasearchUK site has some information about private testing.

Good luck Fingers crossed tone1

Love & Light 

Anne

:) 

• Thank you so much Anne, that does seem likely as a reason for being ineligible. And I think I agree it’s a no brainer to get the test. You mention funds - that’s also a consideration for me. I’ll be able to do a private test, but I’ll definitely have to explore financing options for the surgery. I know a lot of places do face finance options, don’t suppose you have any advice or resources on that? Thanks again for your response - is v appreciated! Xx

• Thank you Maisie33, I appreciate your supportive words! I think I ought to get the test done. Thank you for sharing xx

• No worries CBeat, happy to help. I'm not sure about financing your op. Maybe see if anyone else replies on here who has been down that route? Short of that I would do an online search and meet with a few that provide the op before deciding which one to go down.

It's a big op and completely different from augmentation as they will be taking all your breast tissue away and reconstruction under the muscle involves using additional support matrix's to support the implant.

I wish you all the best and hope you get some answers to your concerns.