BRCA2 Positive - guilty and relieved

• 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

So, as I've read on here, a lot of people don't know how to feel about knowing you have the gene mutation. I'm in exactly the same boat. My aunty was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago, and she is the reason I have found out i have the gene mutation, which I am so thankful for knowing (most days). Unfortunately we lost my aunty to ovarian cancer in May after she had beaten breast cancer and was getting ready to beat the ovarian cancer. My mum has the gene mutation, and has already had her ovaries and tubes removed, now waiting for her double mastectomy and natural reconstruction in August. I have appointments coming out my ears since i found out, I've seen the gynae surgeon to talk about surgery, he said to talk to the breast surgeon 1st as if I go for the natural reconstruction then they prefer the stomach area clear, fair enough. Went to see the breast surgeon, absolute twat! They don't do natural reconstruction at that hospital, and he didn't seem happy that I wanted to go down that path, or at least get more information about it. He seemed like he just wanted to stick any old implant into me for now. Just thankful the breast care nurse was there and insisted he send off a referral to another hospital. I'm so thankful to my genetics counsellor for chasing up the referrals and also sending me for annual breast MRIs (that's an experience and a half). 

While going through all this I feel guilty. One of my close friends was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year, she went through chemo and radiotherapy. She recently went to have a radical hysterectomy, and unfortunately the found more nodules which have been confirmed as cancer and she she is going for chemo again. At this stage it's all about trying to control it. I feel so relieved that I have the chance to go through preventative surgeries, and yet so guilty that she is going through all this crap and just trying to stay positive  and strong for her boys (same age as mine) and her husband. I have always been crap with words and I have no idea what to say to her. 

Sorry for waffling, I just needed to get this all out Slight smile

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier for the other group members to see.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and tests so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Dange84, I can relate to feeling grateful for finding out about my Brca diagnosis before being diagnosed with cancer.
    I’m sorry to hear about your aunty it sounds like she fought very hard to keep living. And she has given you a gift of more choice.

Having your mum going through some of what you may choose to do is helpful I imagine. I have found when I have shared my Brca 1 diagnosis with some friends they feel guilty like they can’t complain about anything because I have it “worse”. This comparison we so quickly make ends up shutting down chances to talk and I have felt isolated as a result. I would invite you with your friend to reach out and show her you’re there and interested in how she’s doing. My mum died of breast cancer when I was very young and to this day the people who just showed up and figured out what needed to be done are still in my family’s lives. Other people just can’t cope or have the ability to be with what’s happening and I’ve come to understand that’s ok too.

Take care of yourself,

• Hi Dang84

I have just posted about my experience and an adjuvant treatment which I know is now licensed in England as a preventative. It's called Lynparza Olaparib.

Speak to your GP or nurse, I don't know if it's suitable for you but unless we ask we never know.

Take care

Jx