Brca and triple negative breast cancer

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, so I have BRCA2, I’ve had a double mastectomy in May and my histology results show I have grade 3 triple negative invasive breast cancer. Next week im having an axillary node clearance. 
Has anyone gone through this? Is my treatment plan the same and if I haven’t had a mastectomy? 

• Hi I am BRACA2 and have TNBC.  Whilst the cancer was at stage 1 the TNBC made it a grade 3 cancer.  At my local hospital they suggested that if I had a mastectomy I would not need chemo therapy.  However I had not been impressed with them in terms of their screening and insisted I was referred to Guy's Hospital where I was seen annually by a breast surgeon. At my 1st appointment he was clear I would have to have chemo  therapy because of the TNBC. The double mastectomy was my choice because I found annual mammograms a stress experience. I also opted for a double mastectomy. My sentinel nodes were checked during my operation and they were clear.

Whether the new drug just accepted by NICE would make a difference for your treatment I don't know..

I hope that helps

ricki
  • Hi Ricki

Thank you so much, hope your doing ok? 

Deb 

• Hi Deborah, 

What a shock for you to find out such news after undergoing a preventative mastectomy. I had grade 3, stage 2 tnbc which was diagnosed in July 2021 and after my treatments I found out I had a brca1 mutation, so then underwent a double mastectomy earlier this year (I guess the other way round than you!). I had cancer in 2 of 3 sentinel nodes they took out pre-chemo, so they took a further 4 axillary nodes after I finished chemo to check they were clear (thankfully they were).

I am not an expert, but I think unfortunately tnbc most often means chemo as it's the most effective way of killing any rogue or lingering cancer cells since hormone treatments are not effective with this type of cancer. I also took olaparib/Lynparza for one year which is a PARP inhibitor that is now used for people with HER2- (so triple negative falls into the category) with a brca 1 or 2 mutation - hopefully you will be eligible to take this medication too. 

How did your lymph node clearance operation go? How long will you have to wait for your results?

Let me know if I can help with any questions, otherwise, take good care of yourself,

x

• Yes I am doing well.  It is a slow journey at times but i getting there. There is a huge amount of help out there and I make used of it.

Thanks for asking

ricki