BRCA2 positive - 29 years old.

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello Slight smile

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

I’ve got an exhaustive family history of various types of cancer, the most common being breast cancer.

in 2010, my mum was diagnosed with stage 4 protein fed aggressive breast cancer. She endured a mastectomy and 18 months of radiotherapy, chemo and herceptin. 13 years later she’s doing so well.

in 2021, mums sister was diagnosed with hormone fed breast cancer and after a double mastectomy, radiotherapy and chemo is doing really well. Her cancer sparked the question of the brca gene within the family. Auntie Claire tested positive, mum tested positive in March so I had my test in april and have not long had the positive result. I’m the only “cousin” so far who has tested positive.

I haven’t got my appointment to discuss the next step with the genetics team until 19th July so I’m constantly thinking at the moment and as the only positive one so far, haven’t really got anyone to talk to.

My mums scheduled to have her other boob off next week and is on the waiting list to have her ovaries removed. She’s so so brave.

I know there’s tablets, preventative surgery etc but I don’t know where to start. I have not long had my first child, a little boy and would like at least one more.

Look forward to hearing any experiences etc please Slight smile

TIA

Carrie xx

• I am not sure how to respond to your questions but here goes.  There are a huge range of options which will be discussed with you.  They will be related to your age etc. I can only suggest that you start writing your questions for that appointment. When you had your initial counselling what did they say to you?

Dependant on where you live there may be a BRACA support group near you.  Those people who live in .Kent and Brighton have a BRACA Kent and BRACA Brighton support group.

Good luck and remember who have control for your own destiny.

ricki
  • Hello Carrie, it’s like we could be related my family’s history of cancer on my mums side sounds similar. I’m sorry to hear about your mum and aunt’s diagnosis they are brave. I hope you have your results by now, if you need someone to further chat with let me know.

Take care,