Hello I'm new

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello. I've just finished radiotherapy for the 2nd time for breast cancer, opposite breast this time.  My surgeon said it was unusual for someone of my age to have suffered this 3.5 years apart and referred me to Genetics.  Ihave an appt in a couple of weeks and wondered what I might expect.  Thanks x

• Hi

As I haven't had a genetics appointment myself I can't help with what you might expect but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where hopefully someone with the right experience will see it.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Joanne,

Sorry they're have been few and far between responses.

Ultimately the genetic Counciller will look into and work out your risks for further cancers developing. Also they will support you and listen to you whilst you're on this journey, more than likely they'll have a chat with you about your family history and review if this is a factor Eventually you'll be tested to see if you carry any of the known mutations. It could be useful for your treatment plan going forward as if they do find you carry a mutation they can tailor how you're treated. They will also ensure you are prepared to find no mutation at all, which when you've had a cancer diagnosis can almost be as bad as finding out you do have one. The reality is some cancers seemingly have no rhyme or reason and there are still mutations that are yet to be discovered.

I hope everything goes OK for you and if you have any further questions feel free to ask me 

Kind Regards 

Anne

• Thank you for your reply Anne, I've resigned myself  to the fact that the future is unknown and I'm just living for the day.  Hubby has surprised me and my son with 2 days at the seaside during StorRoflDudley Rofl.  Having the best time x

• Ah bet the waves are amazing! Enjoy yourself you deserve it. 

Ultimately these services are a resource, take from them whatever you can.

Sending Love and Light xxx