Brca 1 and thinking about risk reducing surgery

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

I'm 34 years old, I've never had cancer but found out about 7years ago that I carry the brca 1 gene mutation. I've regularly had MRIs and thankfully all has been good. 

I've recently started thinking about having risk reducing surgery. I have been to a carrier clinic to discuss all the options with a nurse and breast surgeon. Lots of information to take in. I've decided I'm not ready to have my ovaries removed, I don't have children and don't want that option taken away from me just yet. 

I wondered if there was anyone else going through this decision making at the moment? It is a very big operation and it all scares me a little!

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I haven't been in your position but I can understand what a difficult decision this must be.

While you're waiting for replies if you haven't done this already you could type 'risk reducing surgery' into the search bar at the top of the page and you'll find lots of previous posts on this topic, which you could have a look through, and respond to any of the more recent ones if you think the poster can help you further.

Do come back and let the group know what you decide as it'll be really helpful for others following along in future and the other members can also offer their support.

Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"