Feeling scared

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone Wave tone2 my sister has just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer which is so sad in itself, she has also had the BRCA test and is awaiting the results. I’m feeling so sad for my sister having to deal with breast cancer but also so scared of how the results of the genetic test will effect me and my daughter. I have 2 half sisters who have died of cancer, one of cervical cancer and another of pancreatic cancer.......I’ve convinced myself I’m doomed 

• HI. I've definitely got similar feelings myself, having being diagnosed with TNBC in October last year. I've decided to get the genetic testing done, and my biggest fear is a positive result that I then have to share with my parents and my sister, who has 2 girls.

I'm trying really hard, when those feelings start to overwhelm me, to focus on the positive..... That it is statistically more likely that I DON'T carry the gene, while also trying to think practically and proactively about the possibility that I DO carry it.... We have access to great healthcare,  there are preventative options available for my family members, which many woman have been through and come out healthy and strong on the other side.

I also don't allow myself to think about it too much as there is nothing at all more I can do until the results come back and I can take the next steps then if steps are necessary at all. Best thing to do is keep busy, do things that occupy your mind and body and make you feel good about yourself. And remember, your sister will most probably be feeling lost, hopeless, scared at times too, so being there for each other and taking about your feelings, crying and  laughing together may be the best therapy for both of you x