husband died recently

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

My husband died two weeks ago.  When he went into hospital on Mar 24 we had no idea that he wouldn't come home again. From firm diagnosis to death was only two weeks. As recent as mid February we were still out on the bikes .  I'm still struggling to come to terms I am sure everyone here has felt the same pain. My life is so empty without my soulmate. Friends who have been in the same boat are a comfort, as is family, although we don't have children. Reading other comments on here I thought it might help just to write it out.

• Hello. 

I am so sorry that you have joined this group. We can all understand how you are struggling and how you are feeling. This is a safe and very supportive place where you can vent, rage or just be sad. My husband died almost a year ago 18 months post diagnosis, I can't imagine only getting the two weeks that you had. I found this site helps me get through the empty days.

Look after yourself  

Sulubee

• Hello RedCardinal!

So sorry for your loss. Yes this is a good place to come if you feel you need to write things down as you say and everyone here will `get it`. I am only weeks away until my husband's first anniversary of his passing on the 23rd June 2023. It has gone so quick but felt so long for me. Yes you will get that `empty feeling` even though you try to keep yourself occupied and busy that feeling for me is always there. We had 40 years together and it's just so hard to begin to try to navigate life on your own when you had someone by your side all those years. He fought bowel cancer for two years at one stage going into remission but it came back for him and decided it wasn't leaving without him a second time. I still wonder why I am getting up in the morning but I do and just put one foot in front of the other and try to take things a day at a time still. Is all we can do really I think. My best wishes to you going forward. Take Care

Vicky xx

• Hi,

I'm very sorry to read your post. It's a horrible position to be in. My wife of 38 years died about seven months ago, and I still can't really believe it: my life feels destroyed. Like you, by the way, we don't have children - so I am now very much on my own.

If I can offer any 'advice', it's that what seems to have helped me has been talking to other people about what's happened, trying to remain physically active, and trying to remain socially active with friends. Writing about it does also help - as I hope you might have found out yourself.

I send you love, and best wishes. You are not alone.

• Hi there, I feel your pain. I lost my wife at the end of April, she was the love of my life, my soulmate. After several years of ill health and negligence from our GP's, she was finally diagnosed in September 2022 with stage 4 metastatic gastric cancer. It's a long horrible story that I'm not ready to tell, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you.

I'm completely broken, we did everything together. She left me a list of things she wants me to do, never complained and was the strongest person I've even known. I don't want to live without her, I've no idea how I'm going to go on with my life, but she made me promise to live it fully Sob.

I managed to get out on my motorbike for a few hours today, had to drag myself out, but did it. My heart wasn't really in it, but I know my Sarah would be kicking my arse if I didn't. You have my thoughts and prayers Heart