Shock and utter devastation

• 1 reply
  • 32 subscribers

I lost my husband and best friend of 43 years on Friday to stomach cancer. He was diagnosed at Christmas with liposarcoma of the very aggressive kind. Just can't believe it was so quick we both thought we had more time. I also lost my brother in law in December to prostate cancer so losing two men in my life so close together is utterly devastating feels like a living hell And not sure how I'm going to face the future I suppose I'll have to just take it one day at a time. I'm going to sleep crying and waking up crying.

• Hello Bluedays,

So sorry that you have had to join this group. Like you, I lost my soulmate, wife and love of my life for 43 years to aggressive breast cancer in November 2021. It will be a very tough journey in the first year or so but over time I hope that, like me, you will learn to cope better with all the emotional turmoil. I still have really low days but I try to look at things in a positive way if I can, remembering what a wonderful person my wife was and the good times we had together. I often look at old photographs of holidays and days out together or with our children, and it always brings a smile to my face. Grief comes in waves and we have to ride those waves as best we can. I used to cry a lot but not so much now, and I found it helpful to have bereavement counselling in the first year, followed by going to bereavement cafes run by our local hospice, which I still attend on a regular basis.

I have also joined Wayup ( https://way-up.co.uk/ ) and joined a group of widows and widowers who meet up for lunch and social events. I found that once I had sorted out all the legal stuff etc I needed to reach out in some way rather than suffering grief alone.

I hope you get the support you need here and elsewhere.

Sending you my best wishes,

Derek