Financial advice please.

• 6 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I lost my wife to Bowel cancer 16 months ago. We have 2 small children who were aged 5 and 3 at the time. We had Life Insurance in place ( I took it out thinking it would benefit Laura if I were to pass away given I have lost my dad and sister to cancer - I never, ever thought I would lose Laura first).
The insurance company paid out the lump sum (tax free) which I then invested in various places with the help of an advisor for short term and also longer term for our boys. 
Laura and myself both worked full time but since her passing I have had to drop down to part time hrs and reduced number of days to look after the boys.
I wanted to check something regarding finances if anyone can help please? 
My new hours mean I am below the higher rate tax bracket and I am able to claim child benefit (I was able to claim bereavement support but that is now coming to an end after 18months).
However I now understand that because I receive interest on my savings I have put away I am now going to go into the higher tax bracket which means I now have the child benefit wiped out (the higher rate means you lose it) (or not claim the payments), I now pay tax on the interest I receive from the tax free life assurance which then contributes to my PFA. It seems the gov get you either way for tax.. 
I'm losing the bereavement support, I can no longer claim child benefit and I have to pay tax on my savings (the life policy payout) all because I want to put money aside for our sons future and I want to save if anything were to happen to me). because it takes me above 50K a year.. all this on top of a reduced salary and hours. I do appreciate 50k is a lot of money but when mortgage rates are what they are along with the cost of living.. you lose a partner and their salary, you have two small boys to raise alone and the gov think 18 months is long enough for you to receive financial help and then take your child benefit from you and tax your savings on top... just all seems a little unfair to me? 
Does anyone else find you seem to get penalised by tax as soon as you think you are getting straight.?
Thanks

• Hi TiMO!

Yes its horrible when you start to lose money when someone dies. I have lost a few benefits too. My husband's pension, his attendance allowance and my carers allowance. I am not in the same position as yourself though with little ones. There is a section here on the MacMillian site which specifically deals with people in financial difficulties your best bet would be to contact them or phone the helpline and they will be able to put you through to someone who can help. Good Luck. 

Vicky xx

• Thank you Vicky 

• I would get the help of an independent financial advisor who are well versed in reducing your tax burden & investing your savings wisely, a cash isa is also a good option and is also tax free, but alas I do think the tax office will get us somewhere down the line!
    Hope you manage to get sorted

• Thank you. I’ve managed to get a tax free ISA but there’s a limit to the amount you can invest. Just feels you are taxed are every point along the way even when you try and save for the future. I also think limiting bereavement support to 18 months or less is quite harsh when young children are involved who can’t even get child benefit because of the life policy youve put away. Just feels a bit much after everything the boys have been through losing Laura so quickly and at such a young age. 

• HI TIMO24

so sorry for your loss and for the financial minefield that you are wading through.

MacMillan can offer some financial guidance - here's the link Financial Guidance | Macmillan Cancer Support

I would encourage you to see independent financial advise and potentially some tax planning guidance. It's a minefield to navigate but could save you money in the long run.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much. I am now taking advice from a financial advisor to try and save as much as I can going forward. Thank you for all the advice it’s very much appreciated.