Feeling neglected

• 4 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I lost my darling husband of 52 years 18 months ago and it feels as raw now as it did in the early days.  We were so close and were lucky enough to have lots of lovely holidays in the years before his illness.  He was diagnosed with metastatic kidney cancer in 2013 and the last nine years of his life were rocky to say the least due to side effects from treatment.

I have a lovely friend whom Ive known all my life and she is widowed too, and we support each other.  However she sees her daughter regularly. My   three adult children all live near me but all have busy lives.  Although they occasionally invite me out for meals, they don’t call round very often and Im feeling very neglected and lonely.  I try to get out and about as much as I can but when I go out on my own I feel even worse as all I see are families or couples enjoying themselves.

My son is there if I need him but doesn’t phone for days.  In fact I’ve not seen him in over two weeks, despite the fact that he only lives 10 minutes away from me.  

I think the winter months are probably having an effect on how Im feeling and hopefully when the weather improves I can get out working on the garden again which usually makes me feel happier.  

Sorry for sounding so downbeat and complaining!   

• Hi Lynne!

Your post resonates so well it's as if I could have wrote this! I too feel like this just now and I am putting it down to the winter months being so long and dark. I lost my husband of 40 years last June (2023) so I'm only 7 months in. Just these last couple of weeks it has really hit home that I am on my own now. We more or less did everything together. When he retired 5 years ago we worked out a sort of routine what we would be doing on what days etc but all that is gone. We owned a static caravan in Argyll Scotland and went there as often as possible but I have had to sell it on as the upkeep of it on my own is just not possible. I have a car so at least I can get out for a little while during the day if I want. I've tried to go back to my hobbies that I was doing before my husband took really ill. As I said he retired 5 years ago, but in those five years hospitals, clinics, oncologists GPs seemed to take over and became an everyday occurence whereas when he worked for almost 50 odd years he very seldom saw a GP for anything and if he was at a hospital it would have probably been to A & E for a work related injury so he was robbed of his retirement. He got the all clear- or in remission as they call it - after he got the operation to remove his tumour in January 2022 but 5 months later it was back. Chemotherapy he was put back on eventually damaged his kidneys and had to be withdrawn completely. That and several bouts of sepsis took its toll and he eventually passed on the 23rd June 2023. I too have a son and he lives about 20 minutes away from me and like you too he very seldom phones me. Yes he has a job and his own family (he has a partner and a little girl) but it doesn't take much just to pick up the phone every now and then to ask how you are. He does phone but it's usually to ask me to babysit for the little one or pick her up at nursery etc which I don't mind doing but other than that I don't hear from him. I have an older sister who I am carer for. She lives independantly in sheltered accomodation on her own but has mental health and mild learning difficulties she too had a bowel cancer diagnosis ironically two months after my husband passed. She is ok though and they got hers in time and she has been in and got the tumour removed and is expected to go on and make a full recovery. Never think you are coming on here complaining. This is what this forum is for, to come on and let off steam as there will be others who can relate to what you are going through and will get it. Take Care

Vicky x

• Vicky, Thank you for your lovely comments.  I agree with what you say and your post definitely resonates with me!

I do quite often look after my youngest granddaughter which I enjoy.  She’s 6 and such good company and so amusing.  As you say, it does only take 5 minutes to pick up a phone and I think that is what upsets me most.  My son doesn’t go out to work so really should have a lot of time on his hands.  He does have a mildly autistic daughter but she is at school.  I am slightly disabled and haven’t been able to get out in the snowy weather.  Two of my adult granddaughters messaged to see if I needed anything and so did my youngest daughter (their mum).  I have not heard from either of my other two children!!

I am so sorry to hear of your sister’s difficulties and hope she makes a good recovery from her cancer.

kind regards xx

• Hi, have you ever heard of Meet Up?  I belong to my local groups, people organise meals out, walks, theatre etc and everybody goes along singly.  Not everybody is single but if they are married they come along on their own.  Its not a dating site, purely a site where you can join in outings with other people.  It was daunting going to my first outing but as the groups are generally small its easy to have conversations.

I live in Essex and there is also a FB group for widows and widowers and again they organise outings. There are also friendship sites on FB so if you are on there its worth seeing if you have local groups.  Meet Up is on the Internet.  I did join Way Up but tbh it wasnt for me.

Im just over 2 years now and tbh without the groups I wouldn't go out so much, Im even thinking about a singles holiday.

I am lucky as I see my daughter a lot, being an only child and we don't have much family she and I have grown much closer since her dad died.  She was such a daddys girl.  

Take care

Glenis

• Hi Glenis, thank you so much for your reply to my post.  I hadn’t heard of Meet Up but will definitely look into it.  I do get out weekly with friends I grew up with but it’s the weekends I find difficult.  I am sure once the weather improves and I can be busy in my garden again I will be more content.

I hope you do go on your holiday.  I have considered doing that too.  My youngest daughter has invited me to go on holiday with her family later this year and I am so looking forward to it.  

Kind regards x