My husband of 26 years

• 13 replies
  • 32 subscribers

My husband just lost his battle to cancer he passed last week I was his carer for a year and now he’s gone  I don’t know what to do how to feel the emptiness is a battle what do I do hope do I cope without him 

• So sorry you find yourself here. Just take it an hour at a time . Rest when you can and eat something. 

Hope you have someone supporting you.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • I am sorry you have lost your husband. I lost my wonderful man 5 months ago yesterday. I don't really have any answers for you i'm afraid i still feel the same as i did on the day he passed away. You can keep busy, but then something washes over you and you realise that your life has changed forever and the person you had by your side is no longer there. Practically i have found i can do things i never thought i would be able to do like fill the printer with ink, and get the jammed paper out. Take care of yourself and hope you have some support.

• I’m so lost I find myself sitting here then it’s dark there’s no funeral either so hard isn’t it 

• It’s horrendous never felt like this ever so sad can’t do anything it’s all a shock even though he was given a year it still does not seem real here one minute gone the next 

• I am so sorry for your loss. I am six months down the line and can only say that you will find strength that you never knew you had...

• Really sorry to hear about your husband. For the 'how', I think everyone is different but some things are in common. Talk to your friends and family about him - that's one way people stay alive in our minds; do something that is not connected to him (hobby, activity, visit someone) so that you are not always looking at the lack of him; remember the things you loved together - the pleasure in those things does not have to clouded by his death, eventually. And stay active as you can, for the sake of your brain and your health.

• For now I’m crying all the time in waves it’s horrible I’m struggling to see the point of existence sounds terrible to say but that’s how I feel 

• Perhaps it well help you to know that others here - complete strangers, except for our shared experience - both feel your pain, and care about you.

I feel exactly the same torment. My dear wife of 38 years died of secondary cancer just four weeks ago. The grief comes in waves but, when it's strong, it is almost unbearable - and there is a very strong temptation just to give up. But please don't.

For my part, I promised my wife that I'd go on, and that I would try to lead a fulfilling and productive life - carrying out some of the hopes and plans that we'd intended for our joint retirement. And, since I've made that promise to her, I intend to keep it. Throughout my wife's illness, I'd always wished that it was me, and not her. There is no sense or justice to any of this, but I know that if it had been me who'd had the terrible disease and its associated death sentence, rather than my wife, I would very much have wanted her to carry on after I'd gone, and to live a good life.

You are not alone. Please don't give up. It will be very difficult - but I send you love, and my very best wishes.

• I am with you i do not see the point of existing. Doing things for the partner that has gone feels impossible as they are not by your side.

• We have to keep going - for them.

It is as difficult as hell - but I just keep telling myself what I would want, had the circumstances been reversed (as I dearly wish that they were.)

However impossibly difficult it seems, we must not give up.