Coping with the death of my wife

• 7 replies
  • 32 subscribers

My wife was diagnosed with primary oesophageal cancer in September 2019, and I have posted from time to time in the group on this site which is related to that disease. We thought at the time that a combination of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and major surgery had provided a complete cure - but secondary cancer was diagnosed in September 2022, and my wife died in my arms three weeks ago. She had been at home - as we both wanted- till more-or-less the end. Only in her final hours was she readmitted to hospital.

The end came much more quickly than either of us had expected - we both thought we had a few weeks left, at least - and the final few hours were not particularly well-handled by some of the medical staff involved. We had been together for more than 38 years.

We don't have kids, and my wife's family largely left me alone to get on with things after her death. (I don't know why. I told them I was struggling, but they didn't really react. I don't think they are bad people - but I guess we are just 'different.') So I organized both the funeral and the wake afterwards pretty well single-handed. (I should add that a work colleague of my wife gave me exceptional help with organizing the wake, for which I owe her a huge debt of thanks.)

The funeral was last week. The cliche is that the associated organization provides a 'distraction.' But I would happily have devolved the entire workload onto somebody else. I didn't want to be distracted - I wanted to understand what had just happened to us, and to grieve for my dear wife.

I was touched and encouraged by the large numbers of people who attended both the funeral, and the wake. But that's just testimony to the fact that my wife was widely loved, and respected.

Since the funeral, I thought that I had better get on with tackling some of the administrative duties which I now face: notifying authorities; attempting to figure out - and then sort out - my wife's financial affairs; that sort of thing. But doing so just put me in a complete state of depression: I am not really sure where to start, and I really don't want to think about things like that right now. However, I realize that I need to.

I have been offered counselling by the hospice which was involved in looking after my wife in her final week, and have gratefully accepted the offer. I will take any help that's offered to me: and I know already that talking out loud does seem to help.

This is already a long post. Why am I writing it? I am honestly not sure - but I feel compelled to try to unburden myself by putting this down on paper, and to share it with people who are going through - or who have already gone through - this same shocking emotional upheaval. My entire world has suddenly and irrevocably changed, and I have no idea how I will now navigate the future ahead of me. I promised my wife that I wouldn't give up - and I will honour that promise - but, for now, all I see is blackness.

Thanks for listening.

• Posting for the first time in this group is so hard. Your wife sounded like a strong person. We are all at different stages of grief here so we can relate to everything you describe. 

I lost my husband six months ago and also have PTSD which is so hard to cope with every day. There is no right or wrong way to grieve, the description of it coming in waves is accurate. 

You will feel all over the place - loss has changed your life forever but I am sure that there are better days ahead for us all, it just seems like a hard and long journey at the moment.

Remember to look after yourself. 

• Thanks for your reply.

Your description of grief 'coming in waves' is entirely accurate. Sometimes, I feel as though I have made some mental adjustments already; but, the next minute, I am engulfed in tears again.

I still can't really believe that my wife has gone.

As for my wife: she was indeed a strong and stoic woman. She never complained about her illness; the closest she ever came to that was when she told me a few months ago that she felt 'unlucky.' Unlucky!

Before her final discharge from hospital, when it had been decided that there was no chance of further treatment for my wife's cancer, many friends came to visit her in hospital. Whenever that happened, I generally stayed for a short chat, and then left them alone so that they could have a private conversation with my wife. Several of them have since told me that my wife's only concern was for me. I am humbled.

• I am sorry for the loss of your wife. I lost my husband in July, and still do not know how to carry on without him. I came out of the supermarket today having bought my ready meals for one and had a panic realising that i was on my own and my husband would not be at home when i returned. I spent half an hour in the shower this afternoon crying. I to go for counselling at a hospice, i hope you find it helpful. I hope you get the mundane things done without to much difficulty.  Take care.

• PTP,

I'm now past the 18 month mark. Does it get easier? I don't think so as the emotions are just too strong. I'd say I'm managing my days better but I still talk to her, go through some morning routines, etc as they make me feel that she's still with me - and of course she is.

I've found, although others haven't, that going away periodically for a day here, two days there, has helped. The first time is difficult as you see nothing but couples together - especially if you go into a restaurant. 

It's well documented, amongst us on here, that those who you expect to help more seem to disappear. It simply can't be explained.

All the paperwork I found to be very tiresome. Some organisations were great, others a pain in the ....

The key, and I think others will agree, is you do what you want. People will suggest things but it's what you want to do that matters. Stick to that. 

I hope this helps a little.

Take care,

WDJ

1. Hello PTP  know that there are total strangers reading feeling your heartache...I lost my husband to cancer 2 years ago . ... hold your head up remember all that love strength you both have for each other will  stay with you forever take care and remember to eat try rest the paper work will get done when it's done...dee.
  • Hi PTP,

My thoughts are with you and I understand completely how you feel. I am now 2 years into this journey and some days are really difficult emotionally. Yes, do get all the help you can and I hope the counselling brings you some comfort, it certainly helped me and, like you suggest, I did find that I felt unburdened of my grief after each session.

Like others say on here, and WDJ in the replies, you do things when you are ready, and certainly don't do anything you are not comfortable with. Even after 2 years, I still find it hard to believe she is no longer here at my side, and I still have days when I cry and feel really low. But I do feel that over time I am able to deal with my loss better, but it is so tough. Like WDJ I have also been away on my own on a few occasions, and the first time it was particularly difficult, especially at meal times. I feel it has got that little bit easier each time I have gone, though.

Make sure you look after yourself.

Derek

• Hi I lost my wife beginning of November to womb cancer like you I thought we’d cracked it but the little blighters got into her lymph nodes and she went down fast she was taken into hospital with a uti but she’d also lost a lot of weight which didn’t help with the fight like you her concern was me I told her as she was dying I loved her and I’d be ok after which she passed on don’t know if it will help but if you go onto government site and find tell them once fill it in and all agencies get told at same time sorry for your loss I’ve also joined Wayup a site for the Brieved I find it quite useful 

yours

chris