Financial turmoil.

• 3 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I've been trying to sort out the bills and grocery money to no avail. My wife always sorted the finances out and paid what needed to be paid. With all the bills to be paid and new direct debits to setup and etc.... I realised how screwed I am. CAB can only help me next month and every other organisation the same. 

I'm also needing to sort out my eldest son's immigration, another thing my wife was sorting out. I have no clue where to start, I have all the paperwork needed just no clue how to do it....

• Hello Twitch2.0

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear that your wife has passed away. It must be a very difficult time for you.

Regarding the finances, it must be a worry to deal with these, so soon after losing your wife. It is good that you have reached out to the CAB but a month can seem a long time when you are worrying. I think a lot of people will have been in your situation, where their wife/husband managed the finances and now it falls upon them to do it. 

Have you any family who could help?

Can I suggest that you give the Support Line a call and ask to speak with one of the financial guides. The number is at the end of this. They would be able to give you information specific to you. I did this myself when I had my diagnosis back in April 2022, and via online chat. The advisor was great and was able to help me sort everything out. 

There is also an ask the Expert section for specific questions. I will pop a link below.

Ask a Financial Guide | Macmillan Online Community

I am afraid that your son's immigration is not something I know much about but I have had a look and it might be worth checking on here.

Immigration Assistance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). Maybe this is something also that the CAB could help with. 

I hope this helps a bit.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane. I appreciate the help.

• You can also apply for Bereavement support payment from the DWP. It is easy to apply for and not means tested. You get a one off payment and a small amount monthly for 18 months.