Sorting out finances

• 5 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Does anybody know if I have to rush sorting out my late husbands pensions etc. He passed a month ago and I still can't cope with my life yet. We thought we had more time but things happened very quickly and traumatically. I've even started crying again just writing this. 

• My husband passed on 28/8/23 and funeral on 16/9/23. I just took my time with the admin and made a list each day - banks, utilities, get copy of Will etc. The 'tell us once' scheme upon registration of his death saved a lot of time. I am like you having either/all the 5 stages of grief in one day. I had started my first bereavement counselling session and it was good. I learnt to give the cry - time and space to let it out.  Sending you virtual hugs x 

• Hi Northern spouse thanks for replying. I've done the tell us once and bank and motabillty (losing the car Wednesday). Just getting my anxiety going thinking about trying to sort out money. We had his cCryelebration of life on the 22nd exactly a month to the day of him passing. Got home to our eldest cat (his) poorly and had to have her put to sleep the house is so quiet without her meowing all the time my girl is now blind and just sits at the back door or goes upstairs and sleeps. Cry

• Pensions will wait awhile but just make sure that you have certified copies of any documents needed. It takes longer otherwise.

My husband died in May and I started sorting pensions in July. I have received payments from most of them this month so once they had what they needed it didn't take too long.

• I was the opposite, I just wanted to get it all sorted and dealt with. Once we got the terminal diagnosis we managed to sort a fair bit in advance, the rest I tried to do as soon as I could after. I think you just need to go at a pace that is right for you. Sometimes I think the anxiety of dealing with something is way worse than actually doing it. 

• Luckily my daughter filled in the tell all form for me which helped a lot. I also thought we had more time,  My husband did all the financial things and the practical things so now i have to learn to do it myself. Just do a little at a time and break it up so you can manage it better.  Like you i cannot cope, and don't see how i will cope again, my husband died 12 weeks ago. When my daughter was helping with the practical things she found out i was entitled to a payment from the government called a bereavement allowance as i am under state payment age. I had a one off payment of around two and a half thousand and a  hundred pounds a month until around January 2025. I had never heard of this before, so just thought i would tell people as it is something you can look at when you are ready. Sending you a hug.