1 year

• 19 replies
  • 30 subscribers

And I'm as broken as I ever was.....can't go through another year like this

• PBD7 I'm with you, how can it be a year, some days feels like only yesterday, other days seems like a lifetime doesn't it.

Wedding anniversary was as lovely a it could be, I tried to make the day as special as i could and do what we would of done had Andy still been here. I sent him a card and the same flowers I had in my wedding bouquet (the same ones he always sent me for birthdays and just because flowers) 
    Some friends sent me lovely cards too, 1 friend did send me a little gift and put it was from Andy but hadn't told me - it really freaked me out and upset me at first as I thought perhaps he had sorted it out before he passed last year - I mentioned it to her the next day and she admitted it was her as she thought it was something he would approve of! Once i got over the shock i thought it was a nice gesture - just a little too personal.

For his 1st memorial on 4 october, I have booked the day off work and will take myself off to out favorite beach on my own and sit quiet with my own memories. I'm waiting confirmation of a memorial bench being install by the beach too - they are doing all they can to get it ready for the date - Will I scatter his cremains then too - not sure as I take comfort from him being with me at home at the moment - maybe I'm not ready for that just yet.

Take care and thanks again for your kind words x

• WW2 Girl, please do jump in as I have also done.

I beleive we have to just do whats right for us, this is our journey we are walking, no one elses - How could they judge if they are not in your shoes. Do whats right for you.

I also try to keep busy, more for my head than pyhsically - I walk my poor dogs miles, even in the rain as it gve me me time and head space - just this morning we were walking, the heavens opened and we sheltered under some bushes then the sky lit up with 2 beautiful rainbows - then i knew Andy was looking down on us and it felt ike he was giving us a big hug and sign I will be ok and to keep putting one foot in front of the other (he loved Rainbows so when we see one we call it Big mans rainbows - he was 6ft6"!) 

Weekends I find hard and when i can get most lonley (we live rural West Wales) unless I'm busy pottering in the garden - that was very much one of our happy places.

Just keep doing what feels right for you, thats what I'm trying to do.

xxx

• Flamingo21 I find writing in a journal helps - not for everyone. I don't write everyday now but still find comfort in writing in it.

Christmas! Last year was my 1st without Andy, i didn't want to do anything, not even put the tree etc up but then I thought well, Andy loved Christmas and all the decorations around the house so I did it! Lots of tears as Andy always put the tree up. Then I sat next to it with a glass of red and chatted to him. It was just me and my Mum Christmas day, I set a place for him at the table and still made a Christmas dinner - albeit a very small one.

You just do whats right for you, I would be happier on my own but my dear old Mum worries about me (I'm 52! lol) 
    Don't fee you have to put on a hapy face, it you feel rubbish - tell them - if one thing about my grief journey, Its made me very honest - I really don't care what anyone else thinks - I may have lost a few freinds because of that but I'm no worse off without them!

Take care of you and do your thing xxx

• I was talking to friends yesterday about scattering Richard's ashes... I have been meaning to for ages but haven't. They are downstairs in the hallway almost hidden away. I'm not sure either so think I will wait a while longer. 

I haven't sorted out his clothes either. That's something I probably could start doing now. 

Best wishes for 4 Oct. I am going to do similar and go to place we liked and also stop off for a drink in his memory.

• I haven’t done any of Andys clothes yet, not sure I’m ready for that yet - I like seeing them all in the wardrobes and drawers.

I have bought an antique memory box/chest that I’m going to restore then put all Andys special things in it - his favourite jumper,shirt. Tea mug, toothbrush, hairbrush. Special photos and anything else that I feel are special- tgat way I can keep them all safe & look at when I need to. I still wear one of his shirts, not washed it as it still smells of Andy.

Andys ashes are in pride of place on a large shelf halfway up the stairs - large photo of us both on the wall he had done and I have a led candle on all the time. I talk to him every time I pass.

take care and big hugs xxx

• Hi WW2  Girl

I hope you got through the anniversaries OK? And that u were able to enjoy your tour somewhat. 

I have our anniversary coming up next month,  another hurdle to cross. 

I also haven't done anything with the ashes yet, can't bring myself too, still in denial probably...

Don't worry what people think, you do you. It's good you have lots to keep you busy and if that helps do what's right for you.

Home is a lonely place without them isn't it...

All the best

• Hi Flamingo 21

I'm also wondering what to do at Christmas, its also my birthday, we used to spend it away and now I've no idea what I should do. I'm dreading it,but I guess it'll just be another painful day in the life of this nightmare. 

Do what you think you'll be comfortable with. 

Best wishes

• Hi pinksunshine6

So pleased to hear you made your anniversary lovely. It sounded special. 

You have some good friends, can understand why u were a little freaked out but a nice thing to do.

Hope your bench is ready in time and you find some peace on the 4th x

• I'm with you on the honesty thing, my filter has completely gone!