unable to process

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My anchor/comforter/leveller/world died two and a half weeks ago.  He was diagnosed with stage 4 non hodgkin s lymphoma 3 years ago. he underwent extreme chemo, returned to hospital twice thro a & e with sepsis and made good recovery. his cancer was amazingly in remission, he was put on a two year course of maintenance chemo injection, one every two months. However, 3 months ago he had his covid booster. He began to feel unwell, scratchy throat, very tired, no energy. He was a very very fit 73 year old, working physically hard all is life, a builder and everything associated with that trade and for the last twenty years helping me with my farm. He honestly worked like a forty year old.

He became very unwell and admitted to hospital with suspected infection, where he stayed for nearly 3 months. He was swamped to drips: antibiotics, blood transfusions, bronoscopy. He was desperate to come home, the natural world with fields and trees instead he was in a room on his own, the windows opened a mere inch, the glass covered in hideous patterned film. He was reliant on oxygen by now ,as his sats kept dropping.

We were called to the hospital at 6am on 18th aug, i was fearing the worst as he d had an episode? When we arrived he was as he usually was when we visisted. In bed, on oxygen talking coherently as usual. Relief. A consultant came mid morning to say there was no more they could do for him and the palliative nurses would be along shortly. which they were. He asked what would happen, they said they would sedate him then gradually with draw the oxygen. He ate lunch. then the process began at 6pm. He died at 3.15am on the 19th.

I am traumatised, devastated unable to process what s happened. I will never get over this. I ve had experience of end of life care with my parents but this is something else.

Horrendous. 

• I've had experience with end of life too....but my husbands was far from peaceful and in the end I was willing him to die, as to watch him suffering was horrendous and has traumatised me too....this was 6 months ago and I haven't been able to talk about it, but last week I admitted to my counsellor from the hospice, that I'd been putting on a brave face, but now need help. So I understand where you're coming from.....you lose the love of your life and have to cope with this too! Just awful. I hope you are able to get some support....sending hugs xx

• I am so sorry to read of your experience. I lost my husband just over two months ago after an almost two year battle with bowel cancer. The got his tumour out in January 2022 and all was clear and then it cruelly returned in May 2022 only five months after his surgery. He then had to endure more chemotherapy which absolutely floored him and eventually it was withdrawn altogether due to kidney damage. Since Christmas last year he had been in and out of hospital almost monthly with sepsis infections. The third we thought would take him because it was that serious but it was on the 4th bout that was going to take him along with his advancing cancer. He went into hospital on 1st June this year and passed away on the 23rd. I was with him at the end but hadn't even realised he had passed and thought he had just gone to sleep- which he did but for good. He was making those horrible gurgling noises- `the death rattle` as I believe its called and then it just stopped. He was my best friend, husband and soulmate of 40 years. I am `sort of` beginning to accept he is gone but I still have days- and it is still early days yet- that I can't actually comprehend that he has actually gone. I am now going through the same process with my sister. They have discovered a small tumour in her bowel after a bowel screening test came back positive. We have been told though that her tumour is not as extensive as my husband's was and she is in a position where chemo and radiotherapy may not be needed either before or after her operation. So I pray this time that this is one that cancer won't win.