Worthy Reads

• 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Many a book has been recommended and I can't recall on which discussion pages they are mentioned hence I have started this one. Apologies if it's then a case of repetition.

I'm currently reading Richard E. Grant's "a pocketful of happiness" and it's excellent. He discusses his, and his family's, own experiences with his wife's diagnosis, which led to the same result that we all find ourselves here. There is a great warmth to it and I'm finding many similarities, as we do on here.

If it's one you haven't read, I'd seriously suggest giving it a go.

Take care,

WDJ

• Thanks. I have a copy pending to start. Glad you recommend 

• Daybreak2,

There's also a post from him online where he comments on a couple who he has known for twenty-five years who literally turn their heads away as he approached them. Incredulous but, again, I completely get it in regard to how some people react to those of us who are left afterwards. I'm still gobsmacked at the way some of my/our friends react to the situation. Some have no empathy whatsoever. 

I really hope you enjoy reading it.

Take care,

WDJ

• Hi after your recommendation I’m reading and yes agree with you.  I tried the Reverend Richard Coles book The madness of Grief but didnt really find it any help and just couldnt get through Megan Devines Its Ok that you are not OK.

Thanks fir suggesting it

• The reason I thought Richard E Grant's book was so good was that it wasn't an attempt at 'self help'. I just thought it was so warm and resonated so much from someone who has gone through what we have. It highlighted too, very well, that even as a 'celebrity' he is just human.

I don't say this to suggest that the other texts recommended are not worth reading, far from it. I just thought there was a tone in his writing that was warm and it simply resonated with me so much. I'd certainly share five minutes over a drink with him. Seems such a decent man 

Take care,

WDJ

• I am glad you found it useful. i ordered it, too, started reading it. Thought it might be good that we can recommend other books some of us found useful, on this thread too. Thank you for starting this thread. I will keep checking for recommendations.

• I have finished reading and the book kept me company, familiar  events and the dread to reach the conclusion. When my husband was ill and died I had no direct experience at all, it's only now I learn more and realise there are so many other people suffering in a similar situation.

The book does give a comfort in a way as you appreciate you have gained a much more profound understanding of the human condition and there are many out there in the same boat even if they do get soups from Nigella Lawson as the case of Richard. He seems to have a large social network to turn to.

Each of us are different, but just posting here is a help as we know we are not alone.