Does the pain ease?

• 5 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi All,

lost my wife 10 days after her brave 20 month battle with Bowel/liver cancer. She was 42 and I am 39, we have 3 boys (2 from her previous relationship 18/16 years old) and our Frankie (9). 
we have been together 12 years and inseparable. We adored each others company and were inseparable. We have so many incredible memories and they flood my head at all times. I know it’s just all still so early, but this pain is so intense. I feel guilty for Suzy not being here with me and us, even if it’s just popping to a friends or a shop. 
the boys have so much to live for and I will ensure they live with her memory at all times as I know how proud she was of them and us all.

I just can’t see past this awfulness. I am taking some comfort in listening and hearing about all the stories from her friends and family and also just the amazing comments in general. 

she was so positive and thought of others throughout it all and I know she would be telling me to suck it all up and get on with creating memories, but just don’t know how any of that will happen.

I just miss her so much and this is the woman I should have had by my side for the rest of our lives. Dan x

• I lost my partner of 32 years 11 weeks ago. . You have to allow yourself time to grieve and time to process. There is time to suck it up later.If you try and put a brave face on it and bury your feelings, you just wont heal. I feel your pain because I am living this nightmare also, but we must hold on to the thought that better days will come, because they WILL. Time really is the greatest healer and although its impossible to imagine you will ever feel happy again, you will. I am still heartbroken but I definitely feel better than I did 11 weeks ago, so please hold on to that. We will get through this. x 

• Thanks for the message. It’s hard to allow yourself to grieve with the demands of 3 kids and their emotions as well. It’s a bit more reassuring to hear  that in time, there will be some better days. It’s hard to accept that life has changed now forever. I have had a better couple of hours earlier today, so going to take that as a win today. X

• Thats what you must do, take the little wins when they come along. Eventually they will come more frequently and although you will never be that same person again, you will look back and realise how far you have come. It will happen sooner than you think, I promise x

• I'm 8 months in, I lost my husband in November, he died on the day we had been together 22 years. He died from blood cancer aged 41. For me the first few months were a fog. I was taking it hour by hour then it was day by day. 2 weeks ago a whole new wave of grief hit and I feel worse than I ever have, I'm exhausted all the time. I just want to stay in bed and shut the world out. I know that's not very helpful, but grief isn't easily fixed. You will have good days it may not seem like it now but you will.

• Sorry for all of us for having to meet here. And sorry for your loss.  I am 4 weeks widow today. I had a husband who was a beautiful and caring human being, we were together for a little less than 19 years, and were inseparable. The cremation is in 2 days. Finding it particularly hard hard this week, since i learnt of the cremation date.The cramp in my body and soul, which I had during the 3 and half years of his illness, is easing, but the void of his absence is growing in its place. The biggest pain for me comes from the fact that he had to go through so much pain and that his life ended the way it did at 56 from metastatic colorectal cancer. Of course, being a witness to it and carers for our partners was also painful and traumatic for us, the surviving partners.  I hope the life will get easier and meaningful. He would have wanted it for me, too.  I feel that it is my duty now, to me, and to (memory of) my husband, to live  as well as possible, as soon as possible. This is my intention. I will work on it. Otherwise, we all loose even more than what we already lost. This is my current thinking.